RE: Calender Dates [S-R] Re: Map Book -ZOZULAK

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2010
      I accept your difference of opinion.

      Consider also, that in the late 1880's, folks did not have a need for
      remembering their true birth date. There was no need for that information
      at that time in the world's history. In both areas that are now the Czech
      Republic and Slovak Republic, people had a tendency to celebrate their
      "name" day each year rather than their birth day. The practice continues in
      those areas today. Check out the following link:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_days_in_Slovakia

      So, if you never celebrated your birthday, it is reasonable to assume that
      the true date was forgotten. OK, it was sometime in December. And, without
      any birth certificates that are now required for almost anything you need
      identification for, the dates sometimes were recorded incorrectly. And, 40
      years later some priest in a local Church looks for a name and finds several
      individuals with the same name within a few days of each other, prepares an
      extract. Have you actually seen the specific records or is your information
      second hand?

      In your original message you were talking about a marriage date preceding
      his departure date. Now you are referring to different birth dates for a
      GF. I think both examples are within the reasonable realm of faulty memory
      without written documents like we use today.

      I don't think your search is over. Just think of the excitement when your
      research yields an explanation about your ancestors' dates.

      Good Luck,

      Frank Plichta

      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

      _____

      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 4, 2010
        >>> According to the 1995 Census Data there was a Ladomirova in Saris and a Ladomirov in Zemplin. <<<

        Michael, given that our context is genealogy, would you likely pick Ladmirova at 12 km along a connecting road OR the one diagonally across the county -- and a world away on foot?

        Me too!