Calender Dates [S-R] Re: Map Book -ZOZULAK

  • pstagen
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2010
      I must disagree with your premise. My wife's GF was born in Ruske. Zemplen. His 1935 SS application showed his birth as Dec 15, 1889, but his 1960's SSDI shows it as Dec 28, 1889. Subsequent to his application, he had to produce a document from Europe to attest to his age, per his wife. Not all parishes switched to the Gregorian calendar. I suspect its a quirk within the province.

      What I find really troubling is the time order. How could the priest marry him on May 24th and the groom sail on May 21st? I thought the calendar switch was to advance the days, not reverse them. However, it would take a reversal of calendars to make sense of the records.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

      > The dates cannot be attributed to the "13 day difference in calendars".
      >
      > The change from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar more than
      > likely already took place in Slovakia (I have not been able to establish the
      > exact date Slovakia made the change).
      >

      > Only a few of the Catholic countries switched at the time that Pope Gregory
      > issued his Bull to change the calendar in 1582. Even those early converters
      > often delayed the change for months. Most of the Germany counties switched
      > by 1700. England and America made the change in 1752 by which time most of
      > Europe had already made the conversion. The only holdouts were Russia that
      > switched in 1918 and Greece that made the change in 1923.
      >

      > Since your area of interest is Central Europe and the USA the calendar
      > change was certainly completed years before your date of interest in 1898.
      >

      > I cannot attribute the difference of dates to the calendar. There has to be
      > another reason, perhaps just an error in recording the dates. I would tend
      > to agree that the EI manifest date is correct since that was produced by the
      > shipping company at the port of departure in Europe. I would tend to
      > believe that the date you have for the marriage is wrong and perhaps you
      > should re-examine your source document.
      >

      > Frank Plichta
      >
      > "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

    • John
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 4, 2010
        >>> According to the 1995 Census Data there was a Ladomirova in Saris and a Ladomirov in Zemplin. <<<

        Michael, given that our context is genealogy, would you likely pick Ladmirova at 12 km along a connecting road OR the one diagonally across the county -- and a world away on foot?

        Me too!