Calender Dates [S-R] Re: Map Book -ZOZULAK

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2010
      The dates cannot be attributed to the "13 day difference in calendars".

      The change from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar more than
      likely already took place in Slovakia (I have not been able to establish the
      exact date Slovakia made the change).

      Only a few of the Catholic countries switched at the time that Pope Gregory
      issued his Bull to change the calendar in 1582. Even those early converters
      often delayed the change for months. Most of the Germany counties switched
      by 1700. England and America made the change in 1752 by which time most of
      Europe had already made the conversion. The only holdouts were Russia that
      switched in 1918 and Greece that made the change in 1923.

      Since your area of interest is Central Europe and the USA the calendar
      change was certainly completed years before your date of interest in 1898.

      I cannot attribute the difference of dates to the calendar. There has to be
      another reason, perhaps just an error in recording the dates. I would tend
      to agree that the EI manifest date is correct since that was produced by the
      shipping company at the port of departure in Europe. I would tend to
      believe that the date you have for the marriage is wrong and perhaps you
      should re-examine your source document.

      Frank Plichta

      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 4, 2010
        >>> According to the 1995 Census Data there was a Ladomirova in Saris and a Ladomirov in Zemplin. <<<

        Michael, given that our context is genealogy, would you likely pick Ladmirova at 12 km along a connecting road OR the one diagonally across the county -- and a world away on foot?

        Me too!