Re: ZOZULAK, GERLACK, BYSTRANKA

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hmm.
      There is a Peter Zolzulyak from Strocin and who is married and age 35 arriving from Bremen on the Grosser Kurfurst on Jun 30 1903 and heading for Danbury Connecticut. He seems to match in age the brother you are referring to. Note the variant spelling. Maybe he did return, or at least made several trips back and forth. He indicates that he has been in the United States previously from 1900 to 1901. Not all family stories are entirely accurate in detail.

      And it is likely he that is returning again (at least by age) and marriage as Petro Zozulak on 10 Dec 1909 aboard the Neckar from Bremen. His last residence is listed as Csertesz [present day Certizne] in the same area of Zemplin county, and he is headed to Pennsylvania.

      CurtB
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "pstagen" <pfezziwig@...> wrote:

      > John's brother was Peter Zozulak, born in 1869 and arrived in CT in 1997, based on his 1900 census record. He returned to Europe about the same time as John but Peter never returned, according to the granddaughter. He was married so I presume his wife was also in Europe.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > pstagen,
      > > Zozulak is certainly a common name in Svidnik and Strocin today. Brusnica may not be his place of birth, but as the manifest indicates, just his last residence. The manifest also indicates his passage is paid by his brother in Conneticut and he is going there. Do you know anything of this brother? his name or descendants?
      > >
      > > Curt B.

    • John
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 4, 2010
        >>> According to the 1995 Census Data there was a Ladomirova in Saris and a Ladomirov in Zemplin. <<<

        Michael, given that our context is genealogy, would you likely pick Ladmirova at 12 km along a connecting road OR the one diagonally across the county -- and a world away on foot?

        Me too!