ZOZULAK, GERLACK, BYSTRANKA

  • pstagen
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 30, 2010
      I am assisting a woman to connect with her grandfather. Thus far, I traced him back to his probable arrival in the US but cannot push back any further. Perhaps someone might know of a village with these surnames from the 1890s.

      Using HeritageQuest I found John ZOZULAK (24)arriving from Breman on the Bremen on May 21, 1898. Supposedly he was from a place known as "Brusnycza". Using JewishGen, the most logical village is Brusnica [Brusnyicza in Hungarian]. I went through its GC birth records between 1868 and 1875 but he isn't there. His gravestone shows 1860. Post-1900 records suggest he was born either in July 1874 or 1875. His descendants still speak some Ruysn.

      I spoke with some members of her GC church as well. Most of the elder members came from 4 villages NNW of Presov. However, this woman believes her family came from around Svidnik as her grandfather had relative's names in an old address book who were in Svidnik, Strocin and Dubelcka. I researched Svidnik before and know the Zozulak name was not there in this window of time.

      The records show he returned to A-H. He retrieved his wife and new daughter (born 1903) returning possibly between 1903 to 1905. His granddaughter says he returned on the Kaiser Wilhelm.

      His wife's maiden surname was Anastasia GERLACK and the wife's mother's maiden surname was BYSTRANKA.

      Checking for old church baptism records, SS data on the daughter born in A-H and those of the parents are dead ends. The death certificates (1941 & 1955) for the grandparents only show A-H. No one has the SS numbers for the grand parents so its tough to write for the SS applications.

      Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    • John
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 4, 2010
        >>> According to the 1995 Census Data there was a Ladomirova in Saris and a Ladomirov in Zemplin. <<<

        Michael, given that our context is genealogy, would you likely pick Ladmirova at 12 km along a connecting road OR the one diagonally across the county -- and a world away on foot?

        Me too!