Markusovce Cemetery

  • Charlest
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 25, 2010
      In all the research I have done concerning Markusovce (my Mother's family came from there) I have not seen any mention of a Cemetery. Why is this?

      Google Earth shows a pattern on the ground north of Saint Michal's Church that might be a cemetery. Does anyone know if it is?

      Also I know the LDS has a set of microfilms #1739642, 43,44,& 45 that are "Deaths - Zomreli" from the church records. Yet I never see anyone cite them. Has anyone looked at them? Are they of any value?

      TIA
      cvt
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 25, 2010
        I was in MArkusovce this summer doing photography
        job, but it didn't include cemetery. Have tones of pictures for sale.

        VladiAt 07:50 AM 11/25/2010, you wrote:

        >In all the research I have done concerning
        >Markusovce (my Mother's family came from there)
        >I have not seen any mention of a Cemetery. Why is this?
        >
        >Google Earth shows a pattern on the ground north
        >of Saint Michal's Church that might be a cemetery. Does anyone know if it is?
        >
        >Also I know the LDS has a set of microfilms
        >#1739642, 43,44,& 45 that are "Deaths - Zomreli"
        >from the church records. Yet I never see anyone
        >cite them. Has anyone looked at them? Are they of any value?
        >
        >TIA
        >cvt

        Vladimir Linder
        Slovak Heritage Live quarterly Newsletter
        3804 Yale Street, Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
        Phone/Fax:: (604) 291-8065, Cell: (604) 889-4616
        Email: vlinder49@...

        For sample issue please send US$8.00 to the above address.
        Subscription US$25.00 per year.
        Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$50.00 per page

        Next Slovakia Genealogical research trip starts Spring 2011

        To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...

        My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291 or
        011-421-914-109-444 or 011-421-948-700-261

        Email: vlinder49@...

        You may check out our home pages at:

        www.slovakheritage.org
        www.slovakheritagelive.com
        www.lindervideo.com
        www.liptovskateplicka.com
        www.slovakgenealogy.com
        www.slovakiagenealogy.com
        www.pensiondolinka.com

        www.youtube.com/vladi49

        Advertising rates:

        Full page 9 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$800.00
        1/2 page 4 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$450.00
        1/4 page 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 US$225.00
        1/8 page 2 3/8 x 4 US$ 125.00
        1/12 page 2 3/8 x 2.5 US$ 95.00
      • tom geiss
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 25, 2010
          I don't remember the numbers of the film, but I did look at one a few months ago, and found dozens of births that could be my family?? They may have contained some deaths also.
          I notice that they mentioned whether the person was from KOTTERBACH, or MARKUSFALU, or SONNTAGSGRUND, etc.complete with the house number.

          My family names were Szonoga, Czvengros, Hizsnay, Kocsis; with possible connections to the Gurkos and Pasztoreks in Spisska Nova Ves, just to the north of there.
          Tom

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 25, 2010
            It's difficult to explain the absence of something; the important
            question is probably, "is there a cemetery? where is it?" rather than
            "why can't I find a mention of it?" People are less likely to write
            about the everyday things in the discussion of their hometown; pick
            the website of an American town, and see if you can find out where the
            playgrounds are. Or look in a town history and see if they mention
            where the soccer fields were. Just not one of the things that tends
            to be mentioned and described.

            It's hard to imagine that the town would NOT have a cemetery.

            You've never seen anyone cite the parish death records; where have you
            looked for such citations? And again, I wonder if the real question
            is the last one, "are they of any value?" Unless the entire lot is
            illegible (unlikely!), they will have value. Will they have value for
            YOU? Depends on whether your ancestors died there and how patient you
            are in searching the records, whether your ancestor was one of 3 Maria
            Horvaths living at the same time and you can figure out which one is
            yours in those records, etc. If you DON'T look at the death records,
            then I promise you, they will have no value for you ;-)

            There are no guaranteed results in genealogy research.

            You say, "in all the research I have done..." but if you haven't
            looked at those death records (and if you haven't looked at those, you
            probably haven't looked at the baptisms and marriages, as they're on
            the same rolls), then your research is incomplete. I say, hit the
            microfilms! And have fun (but be prepared for occasions of
            frustration; the answers are not handed to us on silver platters.)

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

            On Nov 25, 2010, at 8:50 AM, Charlest wrote:

            > In all the research I have done concerning Markusovce (my Mother's
            > family came from there) I have not seen any mention of a Cemetery.
            > Why is this?
            >
            > Google Earth shows a pattern on the ground north of Saint Michal's
            > Church that might be a cemetery. Does anyone know if it is?
            >
            > Also I know the LDS has a set of microfilms #1739642, 43,44,& 45
            > that are "Deaths - Zomreli" from the church records. Yet I never see
            > anyone cite them. Has anyone looked at them? Are they of any value?
            >
            > TIA
            > cvt

            > ! Groups Links

          • Charlest
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 25, 2010
              >My family names were Szonoga, Czvengros, Hizsnay, Kocsis; with possible connections to the Gurkos and Pasztoreks in Spisska Nova Ves, just to the north of there.
              >Tom

              I am related to the "Czvengros" family thru my maternal GGM Stupak.

              Joseph Stupak, Anna Stupak, and Andrew Stupak were the children of Maria Hresko.

              Maria Hresko married Joseph Cvengros (died in 1883) and then Mathew Stupak.

              She had Jan, Zuzana, Josef, Stephen, and Stefan w/Joseph Cvengros (1st husband) and Joseph, Andrew, and Anna w/Mathew Stupak.

              Andrew Stupak "sponsored" my GF, Josef Gurnik, to come to US in 1920s.

              cvt
            • Charlest
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 25, 2010
                I have looked at the MFs for baptism & marriages - if the same ones (and I included the #s) have "Deaths - Zomreli that part I missed.

                I have been doing this research, off and on since 70s/80s, probably not as successfully nor as deeply as others, but that's life.

                Before I posted my note I did a search here for "Markusovce Cemetery" and did not find anything "on point"

                I was hoping to spark a discussion, pass on what I have learned if I could, learn from other contributors, and nothing more.

                cvt
              • haluska
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 27, 2010
                  "I was hoping to spark a discussion, pass on what I have learned if I could,learn from other contributors, and nothing more."

                  Do not be discouraged...sometimes when we post on internet our thoughts are not recieved by others as we intended them to be understood.

                  The members of S-W have the expertise to guide you in the right direction....

                  Other times some/we may take the educated answers to questions put forth the wrong way.

                  Let us all remember that this is a hobby intended to be fun and also
                  let's not forget that while we sit at a keyboard,the answers to all our questions do not just "Pop-up".This is a hobby that still involves some leg work and understanding of our heritage.

                  "Sparking Discussion" comes with complete information ie:citations etc. (As I have learned the hard way from this tough bunch)

                  On the other hand some old schoolers here, who have done the leg work before internet reseach came along,have trouble eccepting how easy some things have become in our modern world......

                  From what I understand, this is what we are about here.

                  Slovak-World:

                  Description

                  For genealogy research, queries and assistance in locating information on ancestors who were from areas of the former Austria-Hungary empire and/or the former Czechoslovakia (currently the Czech and Slovak Republics). Postings may be related to information on finding information in the "old country" or where the person emigrated to.

                  As my Daughter says, "Whatever."

                  Dennis

                  -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Charlest" <ctintera@...> wrote:

                  > I have looked at the MFs for baptism & marriages - if the same ones (and I included the #s) have "Deaths - Zomreli that part I missed.
                  >
                  > I have been doing this research, off and on since 70s/80s, probably not as successfully nor as deeply as others, but that's life.
                  >
                  > Before I posted my note I did a search here for "Markusovce Cemetery" and did not find anything "on point"
                  >
                  > I was hoping to spark a discussion, pass on what I have learned if I could, learn from other contributors, and nothing more.
                  >
                  > cvt

                • Charlest
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 28, 2010
                    "discouraged"? That isn't going to happen, I'm too old and cranky.

                    "Slovak-World: Description
                    For genealogy research, queries and assistance in locating information on ancestors who were from areas of the former Austria-Hungary empire and/or the former Czechoslovakia (currently the Czech and Slovak Republics). Postings may be related to information on finding information in the "old country" or where the person emigrated to."

                    Yes that's what I understood also and when I first signed on to Yahoo that, or words to that effect, is what I agreed to abide by.

                    That's one of the reasons I've kept on Yahoo. And my "on Yahoo" has been since Yahoo was also a printed magazine. Mostly I've been a lurker (and seldom a contributor) on this and other forums. Of course being a lurker doesn't amount to much to a major contributor.

                    Whatever

                    cvt
                  • Greg
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
                      Vlad:

                      Many years ago you made a video of the cemetery in Koterbach
                      for us.

                      Anyone with roots in Markusovce could be interested in the
                      video.

                      Greg

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote:

                      > I was in MArkusovce this summer doing photography
                      > job, but it didn't include cemetery. Have tones of pictures for sale.
                      >
                      > VladiAt 07:50 AM 11/25/2010, you wrote:
                      > >

                      > >In all the research I have done concerning
                      > >Markusovce (my Mother's family came from there)
                      > >I have not seen any mention of a Cemetery. Why is this?
                      > >
                      > >Google Earth shows a pattern on the ground north
                      > >of Saint Michal's Church that might be a cemetery. Does anyone know if it is?
                      > >
                      > >Also I know the LDS has a set of microfilms
                      > >#1739642, 43,44,& 45 that are "Deaths - Zomreli"
                      > >from the church records. Yet I never see anyone
                      > >cite them. Has anyone looked at them? Are they of any value?
                      > >
                      > >TIA
                      > >cvt
                      > >

                      > Vladimir Linder
                      > Slovak Heritage Live quarterly Newsletter
                      > 3804 Yale Street, Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
                      > Phone/Fax:: (604) 291-8065, Cell: (604) 889-4616
                      > Email: vlinder49@...
                      >
                      > For sample issue please send US$8.00 to the above address.
                      > Subscription US$25.00 per year.
                      > Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$50.00 per page
                      >
                      > Next Slovakia Genealogical research trip starts Spring 2011
                      >
                      > To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
                      >
                      > My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291 or
                      > 011-421-914-109-444 or 011-421-948-700-261
                      >
                      > Email: vlinder49@...
                      >
                      > You may check out our home pages at:
                      >
                      > www.slovakheritage.org
                      > www.slovakheritagelive.com
                      > www.lindervideo.com
                      > www.liptovskateplicka.com
                      > www.slovakgenealogy.com
                      > www.slovakiagenealogy.com
                      > www.pensiondolinka.com
                      >
                      > www.youtube.com/vladi49
                      >
                      > Advertising rates:
                      >
                      > Full page 9 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$800.00
                      > 1/2 page 4 3/4 x 7 1/4 US$450.00
                      > 1/4 page 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 US$225.00
                      > 1/8 page 2 3/8 x 4 US$ 125.00
                      > 1/12 page 2 3/8 x 2.5 US$ 95.00

                    • Greg
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
                        Some members of the Stupak family ended up in Porac, just to
                        the south.

                        Go to

                        www.iarelative.com/porac.htm and follow some links.

                        Most likely we are distant cousins..

                        Greg

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Charlest" <ctintera@...> wrote:

                        > >My family names were Szonoga, Czvengros, Hizsnay, Kocsis; with possible connections to the Gurkos and Pasztoreks in Spisska Nova Ves, just to the north of there.
                        > >Tom
                        >
                        > I am related to the "Czvengros" family thru my maternal GGM Stupak.
                        >
                        > Joseph Stupak, Anna Stupak, and Andrew Stupak were the children of Maria Hresko.
                        >
                        > Maria Hresko married Joseph Cvengros (died in 1883) and then Mathew Stupak.
                        >
                        > She had Jan, Zuzana, Josef, Stephen, and Stefan w/Joseph Cvengros (1st husband) and Joseph, Andrew, and Anna w/Mathew Stupak.
                        >
                        > Andrew Stupak "sponsored" my GF, Josef Gurnik, to come to US in 1920s.
                        >
                        > cvt

                      • Charlest
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2010
                          That's certainly a could-be. Can you establish or guess at a common ancestor?

                          cvt

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

                          > Some members of the Stupak family ended up in Porac, just to
                          > the south.
                          >
                          > Go to
                          >
                          > www.iarelative.com/porac.htm and follow some links.
                          >
                          > Most likely we are distant cousins..
                          >
                          > Greg
                          >

                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Charlest" <ctintera@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > >My family names were Szonoga, Czvengros, Hizsnay, Kocsis; with possible connections to the Gurkos and Pasztoreks in Spisska Nova Ves, just to the north of there.
                          > > >Tom
                          > >
                          > > I am related to the "Czvengros" family thru my maternal GGM Stupak.
                          > >
                          > > Joseph Stupak, Anna Stupak, and Andrew Stupak were the children of Maria Hresko.
                          > >
                          > > Maria Hresko married Joseph Cvengros (died in 1883) and then Mathew Stupak.
                          > >
                          > > She had Jan, Zuzana, Josef, Stephen, and Stefan w/Joseph Cvengros (1st husband) and Joseph, Andrew, and Anna w/Mathew Stupak.
                          > >
                          > > Andrew Stupak "sponsored" my GF, Josef Gurnik, to come to US in 1920s.
                          > >
                          > > cvt

                        • Greg
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 6, 2010
                            Look into the Stupak connection.

                            Greg

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Charlest" <ctintera@...> wrote:

                            > That's certainly a could-be. Can you establish or guess at a common ancestor?
                            >
                            > cvt
                            >
                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Some members of the Stupak family ended up in Porac, just to
                            > > the south.
                            > >
                            > > Go to
                            > >
                            > > www.iarelative.com/porac.htm and follow some links.
                            > >
                            > > Most likely we are distant cousins..
                            > >
                            > > Greg

                            > > > I am related to the "Czvengros" family thru my maternal GGM Stupak.
                            > > >
                            > > > Joseph Stupak, Anna Stupak, and Andrew Stupak were the children of Maria Hresko.
                            > > >
                            > > > Maria Hresko married Joseph Cvengros (died in 1883) and then Mathew Stupak.
                            > > >
                            > > > She had Jan, Zuzana, Josef, Stephen, and Stefan w/Joseph Cvengros (1st husband) and Joseph, Andrew, and Anna w/Mathew Stupak.
                            > > >
                            > > > Andrew Stupak "sponsored" my GF, Josef Gurnik, to come to US in 1920s.
                            > > >
                            > > > cvt

                          • Michael Mojher
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 6, 2010
                              Greg,
                              The 1995 Census shows there are four spellings of Stupak.
                              In my tree I have the Stupak family in Plavnica. There are 66 of them there. They spell the name with a “v” above the “S” and a “ ‘ “ above the “a”. In orkes Stara Lubovna there are 101 listings for Stupak.