Alternative Search Tool for the Ellis Island Database

  • tkejuice1208
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
      Hello everyone. I just added a link to the group's link area. It is for a very useful FREE website that searches the Ellis Island DB with much greater flexibility. I've had a lot of success running first name queries when no last name is known which ellisisland.org will not permit, village only queries, etc. Query results are also sortable here which is an added bonus!

      Good luck and enjoy!

      -Eric
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
        Eric,
        The Stephen Morse search engine is indeed useful. Bill has it among his “Toolbox” websites at his website. Many of us “old timers” have been using the site for years. When you find a useful site you should add it to the Links at Slovak-Roots. But it would be appreciated if you also had the link in your message -http://www.stevemorse.org/. This makes it easy for those interested to have access immediately and easily.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
          Yes it is very useful!

          Try it this way...I have compiled a data base with all the folks from my Paternal Family using every mis-spelling of the village name.

          Once you have it all together patterns emerge and you can begin to collect families as well.

          Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tkejuice1208" <tkejuice1208@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone. I just added a link to the group's link area. It is for a very useful FREE website that searches the Ellis Island DB with much greater flexibility. I've had a lot of success running first name queries when no last name is known which ellisisland.org will not permit, village only queries, etc. Query results are also sortable here which is an added bonus!
          >
          > Good luck and enjoy!
          >
          > -Eric

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
            Dennis,
            Another way to get a list of possible spellings for surnames is to use the Ellis Island search engine. If you check the alternative button a list comes up with possible ways the surname can be spelled according to what is in the Ellis Island records.

            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "tkejuice1208" <tkejuice1208@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone. I just added a link to the group's link area. It is for a very useful FREE website that searches the Ellis Island DB with much greater flexibility. I've had a lot of success running first name queries when no last name is known which ellisisland.org will not permit, village only queries, etc. Query results are also sortable here which is an added bonus!
            >
            > Good luck and enjoy!
            >
            > -Eric

          • Nemam Meno
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
              Zdravicko, len tak zo zvedavosti, kolko z Vas ovlada slovensky jazyk? Vdaka,
              Frank Gaura

              ________________________________

              wrote:

              > Hello everyone. I just added a link to the group's link area. It is for a very
              >useful FREE website that searches the Ellis Island DB with much greater
              >flexibility. I've had a lot of success running first name queries when no last
              >name is known which ellisisland.org will not permit, village only queries, etc.
              >Query results are also sortable here which is an added bonus!
              >
              > Good luck and enjoy!
              >
              > -Eric

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010