request for help with translation of Vilag/Svetlice record

  • Sam Mag
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2010
      Greek Catholic Svetlice/Vilage c. 1195, baptisms 1858-1906 image 136 of 204 line 8.

      I have found a relative and would appreciate any ideas of what this line includes. The name is Niklas Polomni and I would like to see what others see for his parents and other info. Thanks again.
    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2010
        Sam,
        Here is what I find:

        On 10 March 1889 was born & on 12 March was baptized Nikolaus (Joannes) , a legitimate male to parents Demetrius Polomni and Maria Vidrancsik, greek catholics and coloni (renters, not owners) who live at house number 43 in Vilagh.

        The sponsors are Stephanus Kusnyir and Helenna [?sib/] [Maybe someone else can look at this and read the name more clearly] greek catholics, and also renters in the same village.

        Baptised by Antoniij Podhajicsk, pastor of the place.

        Curt B.

        [No further notes]

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2010
          Thank you very kindly once again.

          > Sam,
          > Here is what I find:
          >
          > On 10 March 1889 was born & on 12 March was baptized Nikolaus (Joannes) , a legitimate male to parents Demetrius Polomni and Maria Vidrancsik, greek catholics and coloni (renters, not owners) who live at house number 43 in Vilagh.
          >
          > The sponsors are Stephanus Kusnyir and Helenna [?sib/] [Maybe someone else can look at this and read the name more clearly] greek catholics, and also renters in the same village.
          >
          > Baptised by Antoniij Podhajicsk, pastor of the place.
          >
          > Curt B.
          >
          > [No further notes]
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Mag" <sammag30@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greek Catholic Svetlice/Vilage c. 1195, baptisms 1858-1906 image 136 of 204 line 8.
          > >
          > > I have found a relative and would appreciate any ideas of what this line includes. The name is Niklas Polomni and I would like to see what others see for his parents and other info. Thanks again.

        • elevans1
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2010
            Sam,

            I joined this Yahoo Group just so I could answer your question!

            I have a Google Alert set to alert me whenever "Svetlice" appears on the internet! My father was born there. I have been thru all 3 Svetlice (Vilagy) church microfilms several times, I mean, back when they were still available only as microfilms.

            I believe the only remaining name that has not been identified was "Grib", the godmother Helena's surname. It's not that I can read the surname on that page, but from the squiggles given, it most closely matches "Grib", a surname I've seen in Vilagy in other spots on the microfilm, and perhaps in the 1869 census.

            Please feel free to correspond with me privately. A bunch of us Svetlice researchers keep in touch. It seems that the initial immigration went to one of 3 places: Binghamton, NY or Berwick, PA or "Allegheny City" (North Side Pittsburgh, PA). Svetlice descendant Nick Karas wrote a book "Hunky" about his ancestors' immigration to America. It seems to me that one of my relatives traveled from Canada to ? Illinois? ?Indiana? to visit her relatives the Polomni's, according to the Ancestry.com Canadian border crossing records. I was unaware that we were related, and I'd have to look into this further to see what the relationship was. I had assumed that perhaps someone was the godmother to one of her children.

            Most people in Vilagy were Rusyn. Are you also on the "RusynHeritage" Yahoo Group?

            Nice to "meet" you!
            :) Elaine E.