Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Mutnansky Search

  • Judy/Dick James
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2000
      Thank you Elfriede, for such complete information. It will add a more personal touch to the little information I have about my great-grandfather.
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 8, 2000
        In my last search through the Illava church records, I came across
        some things that I didn't understand. I hope someone in the group can
        help me.

        Under the column for parents names on a birth record of their child
        there are some words following the father's name that look like the
        following, as best as I could interpret.
        "vigi capsiborum"
        Can anyone tell me what that means?

        Also under the column of "Nomen Patrinorum corum conditio et Religio"
        what does "cum" before a name mean?

        Third item:
        On a marriage record, after the brides name:
        "Joannes et vodieka anorse filia"
        Is that the first name of the father and the mother's maiden name?
        The "vodieka anorse" didn't appear to be capitalized.

        Thank you to anyone who can help.

        Judy
      • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 8, 2000
          I think some of the letters are not correct. Latin words rarely have a
          letter "K" and if they do, the word was borrowed from some other language.

          Nomen Patrinorum corum conditio et Religio = Name of father, status or
          occupation, and religion.

          cum = with

          filia = daughter

          I cannot give you a reliable translation of the rest. If you could provide
          all of the text including names and your best guess or guesses as to the
          letters. I may be able to help more.

          Dr. "Q"

        • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 10, 2000
            Hi! The best thing to do is probably to scan that section of the document
            to a web page and ask us to take a look, or xerox it and ask for volunteers
            to send it to.

            Joe Armata
            joe@...

          • jajames@astound.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 13, 2000
              I have scanned the portions of two wedding registrations:
              Mutnansky-A and Mutnansky-B files are from one wedding and Mutnansky-
              C is from another wedding. Can anyone help me with the spellings of
              these names?
              There appears to have been a write-over on one of them.
              Thank you for your offers of help in translating.

              Judy

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock"
              <judyq@i...> wrote:
              > I think some of the letters are not correct. Latin words rarely
              have a
              > letter "K" and if they do, the word was borrowed from some other
              language.

              > Nomen Patrinorum corum conditio et Religio = Name of father, status
              or
              > occupation, and religion.
              >
              > cum = with
              >
              > filia = daughter
              >
              > I cannot give you a reliable translation of the rest. If you could
              provide
              > all of the text including names and your best guess or guesses as
              to the
              > letters. I may be able to help more.
              >
              > Dr. "Q"
              >

              > jajames@a... wrote:
              >
              > > In my last search through the Illava church records, I came across
              > > some things that I didn't understand. I hope someone in the group
              can
              > > help me.
              > >
              > > Under the column for parents names on a birth record of their
              child
              > > there are some words following the father's name that look like
              the
              > > following, as best as I could interpret.
              > > "vigi capsiborum"
              > > Can anyone tell me what that means?
              > >
              > > Also under the column of "Nomen Patrinorum corum conditio et
              Religio"
              > > what does "cum" before a name mean?
              > >
              > > Third item:
              > > On a marriage record, after the brides name:
              > > "Joannes et vodieka anorse filia"
              > > Is that the first name of the father and the mother's maiden name?
              > > The "vodieka anorse" didn't appear to be capitalized.
              > >
              > > Thank you to anyone who can help.
              > >
              > > Judy
            • Dr. Milan Tima
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2000
                There are two "write-overs" in the name: a hook over the first n, being prononced as n in "new",
                the second one is on the y, an accent aigu, as the frenchnmen say, making this y prononced longer

                Milan

              • Joe Armata
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2000
                  Hi Judy! Here's my take on them:

                  A:
                  Joannes (John, Jan) Milny, the son of Paul and Eva Podoljak

                  Maria Bisztricky, the daughter of Joseph and Maria Bertka, the widow of
                  the deceased Joseph Mrazik

                  B:
                  Joannes Bossianyi, pharmacist (I read that letter that looks like a
                  written f as an old-fashioned leading s)

                  Stephan Bertka, artisan

                  C:
                  Antonin Bra~zda, the son of Joseph and Barbara Ra~dek (not sure of that
                  final letter k)

                  Josephina Milny, the daughter of Joannes and Anna Vodic~ka

                  Joe Armata
                  joe@...

                  > I have scanned the portions of two wedding registrations:
                  > Mutnansky-A and Mutnansky-B files are from one wedding and Mutnansky-
                  > C is from another wedding. Can anyone help me with the spellings of
                  > these names?
                  > There appears to have been a write-over on one of them.
                  > Thank you for your offers of help in translating.
                  >
                  > Judy
                • rd1995
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 24, 2008
                    Hi,
                    It's 2008 and I'm also looking for any Catholic church records for Nemsova. It isn't named
                    in the LDS catalog in a keyword search. I tried the town with the nearest old "post office"
                    but that didn't work.

                    I'm looking for Vavrus, Petrusek and Pechasek in Klucove (Klucsos under the Hungarians)
                    but I know that the church was in the larger nearby town (called Nemsova).

                    Did the film crews miss the town?

                    thank you,
                    Ruth

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, jajames@... wrote:

                    > I have been trying to use the LDS records search to find the film
                    > number for church records from Nemsova, Slovakia. I have not had any
                    > success. Can anyone help me? I am looking for Catholic Church records
                    > for the families of Mutnansky and Suchma.
                    > thank you,
                    > Judy

                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                      >>> I'm also looking for any Catholic church records for Nemsova. It
                      isn't named in the LDS catalog in a keyword search. I tried the town
                      with the nearest old "post office" but that didn't work. <<<

                      Here's where you will find the DEFINITIVE ANSWER.

                      LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                      Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
                      refer to different religions. Most of these church records are
                      available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

                      No, you can't look up the information that is on the fiches by going on
                      line. Some members may have the actual book that the fiches are based
                      on.

                      Good luck.
                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                        I think you will have to continue to be patient. There are lots of villages
                        in Western Slovakia whose church records have not yet been released by LDS,
                        even though they were filmed long ago. Bill (www.iabsi.com
                        <http://www.iabsi.com/> ) tells us that they are releasing these backlogged
                        films as quickly as possible, but for those of us who are still waiting,
                        quickly never seems quite quick enough.

                        You are quite right that the Klucove/Klucsó records will be found with
                        Nemsova.

                        Janet

                        _____

                        It's 2008 and I'm also looking for any Catholic church records for Nemsova.
                        It isn't named
                        in the LDS catalog in a keyword search. I tried the town with the nearest
                        old "post office"
                        but that didn't work.

                        I'm looking for Vavrus, Petrusek and Pechasek in Klucove (Klucsos under the
                        Hungarians)
                        but I know that the church was in the larger nearby town (called Nemsova).

                        Did the film crews miss the town?

                        thank you,
                        Ruth

                        yahoogroups.com, jajames@... wrote:

                        > I have been trying to use the LDS records search to find the film
                        > number for church records from Nemsova, Slovakia. I have not had any
                        > success. Can anyone help me? I am looking for Catholic Church records
                        > for the families of Mutnansky and Suchma.
                        > thank you,
                        > Judy

                      • rd1995
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                          I looked at that fiche back in 2005 (which is how I knew about the post office) but the films were finally listed (preliminary cataloging, but that's okay) in the catalog in early 2009. Due to personal obligations, I wasn't able to spend time on genealogy then, but I have been able to request the films last month. It's always a month before my films come in; I can hardly wait!