Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Spisske, Austria

  • gkopka1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2000
      I am trying to find info on my grandfather, Mike Pavolko. I have found other
      Pavolkos in the Pennsylvania area. Their genealogies report that they are
      from Spisske Vlachy, Austria and Spier (Speir), Austria. Does anyone
      recognize these villages as being in Austria or villages now in Slovakia or
      the Czech Republic? Any info would be appreciated.
      Ginger

    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2000
        Spišské Vlachy is 18 km east of Spišská Nová Ves, 30 km west of Prešov, 7 km
        south of Spišské Podhradie (where Spišský hrad, the old castle is located), and
        about 300 km east north east of Bratislava. Try this site:

        http://www.travel.sk/east3.html

        We just returned from a trip to Slovakia and visited the Spiš area. I brought
        back some extra auto atlases of Slovakia, they are at a scale of 1:100,000 and is
        very useful in locating towns in Slovakia. The Podrobný Autoatlas - Slovenská
        Republika 1:100,000 published by Všetky práva vyhradené VKÚ; Vojenský
        kartografický ústav, š.p. Harmanec.

        If you interested in buying one, I'll send it to you for $20.00 including
        priority mail postage. Just e-mail privately.

        Best wishes - happy hunting.

        Dr. "Q"

      • helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2000
          In a message dated 12/7/0 1:41:03 AM, gkopka1@... writes:

          << Spisske Vlachy >>

          Hi Ginger -

          This one is definitely in Slovakia and is in the beautiful Spis region
          near Spisska Nova Ves. But pretty sure that Spier is in Austria.

          helene
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, gkopka1@a... wrote:
            > I am trying to find info on my grandfather, Mike Pavolko. I have
            found other
            > Pavolkos in the Pennsylvania area. Their genealogies report that
            they are
            > from Spisske Vlachy, Austria and Spier (Speir), Austria. Does
            anyone
            > recognize these villages as being in Austria or villages now in
            Slovakia or
            > the Czech Republic? Any info would be appreciated.
            > Ginger

            Spis^ské Vlachy (Szepesolaszi) is located 18 km from Spis^ská Nová
            Ves.
            (In Hungarian, Szepes means 'beautiful' and I think olaszi means
            'Italian' ? )
            Interesting region.

            Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
            Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
            centuries.

            The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
            of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

            Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

            LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

            Hungarian English
            rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
            ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
            izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

            In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
            Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
            Sobás^ení = Marriages
            Zomrelí = Deaths

            In Hungarian the matriky are titled
            anyakönyvek.
            Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

            In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
            Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
            Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
            Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

            The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. matriky (1636-1896) for
            Spis^ské Vlachy, Slovakia, formerly known as Szepes-Olaszi,
            Szepes Megye (county), Hungary.
            Text in Latin and German.

            film #
            1739898
            1799899
            1739900
            1739901

            The LDS-Mormons filmed the Lutheran church records (1783-1951) for
            Spis^ské Vlachy, Slovakia, formerly known as Szepes-Olaszi, Szepes
            Megye (county), Hungary.
            Text in German, Latin, Hungarian and Slovak.

            film #
            1739901
          • gkopka1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2000
              Frank,
              Thank you again.
              Ginger

            • Barbara Keryan
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2000
                Dr. "Q"

                I'd be interested in an Atlas. Let me know where to send the money.

                Thanks,

                Barb Keryan
                207 Baucom Park Drive
                Greer, SC 29650
              • J. Michutka
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2000
                  I *cannot* get the Slovak phonebook website to work for me lately, and I'm
                  missing a <potential> relative's address. Does anyone have access to a
                  Slovak phone directory that covers Lietava (sort of near Bytca, up in the
                  NW corner of the country)? Email me privately, so we don't bore the list
                  with my search for my Grecnar relatives...... Thanks! (This is
                  genealogy--I'm still trying to work out the family tree with the folks in
                  this town.)

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                • krejc@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 11, 2000
                    hi julie,
                    there were seven hits when putting Grecnar into slovakian telephone white
                    pages,
                    Ferdinand Grecnar
                    Pavol Grecnar
                    Pavol Grecnar
                    Juraj Grecnar
                    Augustin Grecnar
                    Zita Grecnarova
                    Anna Grecnarova

                    do you need more info on any of the individuals listed such as phone numbers
                    or house number?
                    noreen