Mutnansky Search

  • jajames@astound.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 6, 2000
      On the marriage registration for Andreas (Andrej) Mutnansky, his
      occupation is listed as "vachman". If this means "watchman", does
      that refer to a security guard of some sort or a person who fixes
      watches? The date of the marriage was 1868.

      All help is appreciated. Thank you.

      Judy
    • egrillmair@home.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 6, 2000
        Hi, Judy -
        I would say that in the old Austrian Empire where possibly civil
        servants from the capital Vienna made out the marriage certificate,
        "Wachmann" meant almost certainly police officer - but not a dreaded
        one, as for example under the Nazi regime, but a benevolent one who
        helped people. Before the advent of the electric streetlights (which
        1868 certainly was), there could also have been a "Nachtwaechter" who
        had more or less the duties of a nighttime security guard - but then he
        would have been called that, i.e. Nachtwaechter. It was definitely NOT a
        watchmaker - who would have been called an "Uhrmacher". "Wachmann" is a
        typical Viennese expression and may not even occur in a German
        dictionary.
        Best wishes,
        Elfriede Steiner Grillmair

        jajames@... wrote:

        > On the marriage registration for Andreas (Andrej) Mutnansky, his
        > occupation is listed as "vachman". If this means "watchman", does
        > that refer to a security guard of some sort or a person who fixes
        > watches? The date of the marriage was 1868.
        >
        > All help is appreciated. Thank you.
        >
        > Judy

      • Judy/Dick James
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2000
          Thank you Elfriede, for such complete information. It will add a more personal touch to the little information I have about my great-grandfather.

          jajames@... wrote:

          > On the marriage registration for Andreas (Andrej) Mutnansky, his
          > occupation is listed as "vachman". If this means "watchman", does
          > that refer to a security guard of some sort or a person who fixes
          > watches? The date of the marriage was 1868.
          >
          > All help is appreciated. Thank you.
          >
          > Judy

          eGroups Sponsor

        • jajames@astound.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 8, 2000
            In my last search through the Illava church records, I came across
            some things that I didn't understand. I hope someone in the group can
            help me.

            Under the column for parents names on a birth record of their child
            there are some words following the father's name that look like the
            following, as best as I could interpret.
            "vigi capsiborum"
            Can anyone tell me what that means?

            Also under the column of "Nomen Patrinorum corum conditio et Religio"
            what does "cum" before a name mean?

            Third item:
            On a marriage record, after the brides name:
            "Joannes et vodieka anorse filia"
            Is that the first name of the father and the mother's maiden name?
            The "vodieka anorse" didn't appear to be capitalized.

            Thank you to anyone who can help.

            Judy
          • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2000
              I think some of the letters are not correct. Latin words rarely have a
              letter "K" and if they do, the word was borrowed from some other language.

              Nomen Patrinorum corum conditio et Religio = Name of father, status or
              occupation, and religion.

              cum = with

              filia = daughter

              I cannot give you a reliable translation of the rest. If you could provide
              all of the text including names and your best guess or guesses as to the
              letters. I may be able to help more.

              Dr. "Q"

            • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 10, 2000
                Hi! The best thing to do is probably to scan that section of the document
                to a web page and ask us to take a look, or xerox it and ask for volunteers
                to send it to.

                Joe Armata
                joe@...

              • jajames@astound.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 13, 2000
                  I have scanned the portions of two wedding registrations:
                  Mutnansky-A and Mutnansky-B files are from one wedding and Mutnansky-
                  C is from another wedding. Can anyone help me with the spellings of
                  these names?
                  There appears to have been a write-over on one of them.
                  Thank you for your offers of help in translating.

                  Judy

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock"
                  <judyq@i...> wrote:
                  > I think some of the letters are not correct. Latin words rarely
                  have a
                  > letter "K" and if they do, the word was borrowed from some other
                  language.

                  > Nomen Patrinorum corum conditio et Religio = Name of father, status
                  or
                  > occupation, and religion.
                  >
                  > cum = with
                  >
                  > filia = daughter
                  >
                  > I cannot give you a reliable translation of the rest. If you could
                  provide
                  > all of the text including names and your best guess or guesses as
                  to the
                  > letters. I may be able to help more.
                  >
                  > Dr. "Q"
                  >

                  > jajames@a... wrote:
                  >
                  > > In my last search through the Illava church records, I came across
                  > > some things that I didn't understand. I hope someone in the group
                  can
                  > > help me.
                  > >
                  > > Under the column for parents names on a birth record of their
                  child
                  > > there are some words following the father's name that look like
                  the
                  > > following, as best as I could interpret.
                  > > "vigi capsiborum"
                  > > Can anyone tell me what that means?
                  > >
                  > > Also under the column of "Nomen Patrinorum corum conditio et
                  Religio"
                  > > what does "cum" before a name mean?
                  > >
                  > > Third item:
                  > > On a marriage record, after the brides name:
                  > > "Joannes et vodieka anorse filia"
                  > > Is that the first name of the father and the mother's maiden name?
                  > > The "vodieka anorse" didn't appear to be capitalized.
                  > >
                  > > Thank you to anyone who can help.
                  > >
                  > > Judy
                • Dr. Milan Tima
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2000
                    There are two "write-overs" in the name: a hook over the first n, being prononced as n in "new",
                    the second one is on the y, an accent aigu, as the frenchnmen say, making this y prononced longer

                    Milan

                  • Joe Armata
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 14, 2000
                      Hi Judy! Here's my take on them:

                      A:
                      Joannes (John, Jan) Milny, the son of Paul and Eva Podoljak

                      Maria Bisztricky, the daughter of Joseph and Maria Bertka, the widow of
                      the deceased Joseph Mrazik

                      B:
                      Joannes Bossianyi, pharmacist (I read that letter that looks like a
                      written f as an old-fashioned leading s)

                      Stephan Bertka, artisan

                      C:
                      Antonin Bra~zda, the son of Joseph and Barbara Ra~dek (not sure of that
                      final letter k)

                      Josephina Milny, the daughter of Joannes and Anna Vodic~ka

                      Joe Armata
                      joe@...

                      > I have scanned the portions of two wedding registrations:
                      > Mutnansky-A and Mutnansky-B files are from one wedding and Mutnansky-
                      > C is from another wedding. Can anyone help me with the spellings of
                      > these names?
                      > There appears to have been a write-over on one of them.
                      > Thank you for your offers of help in translating.
                      >
                      > Judy
                    • rd1995
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 24, 2008
                        Hi,
                        It's 2008 and I'm also looking for any Catholic church records for Nemsova. It isn't named
                        in the LDS catalog in a keyword search. I tried the town with the nearest old "post office"
                        but that didn't work.

                        I'm looking for Vavrus, Petrusek and Pechasek in Klucove (Klucsos under the Hungarians)
                        but I know that the church was in the larger nearby town (called Nemsova).

                        Did the film crews miss the town?

                        thank you,
                        Ruth

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, jajames@... wrote:

                        > I have been trying to use the LDS records search to find the film
                        > number for church records from Nemsova, Slovakia. I have not had any
                        > success. Can anyone help me? I am looking for Catholic Church records
                        > for the families of Mutnansky and Suchma.
                        > thank you,
                        > Judy

                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                          >>> I'm also looking for any Catholic church records for Nemsova. It
                          isn't named in the LDS catalog in a keyword search. I tried the town
                          with the nearest old "post office" but that didn't work. <<<

                          Here's where you will find the DEFINITIVE ANSWER.

                          LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                          Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
                          refer to different religions. Most of these church records are
                          available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

                          No, you can't look up the information that is on the fiches by going on
                          line. Some members may have the actual book that the fiches are based
                          on.

                          Good luck.
                        • Janet Kozlay
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                            I think you will have to continue to be patient. There are lots of villages
                            in Western Slovakia whose church records have not yet been released by LDS,
                            even though they were filmed long ago. Bill (www.iabsi.com
                            <http://www.iabsi.com/> ) tells us that they are releasing these backlogged
                            films as quickly as possible, but for those of us who are still waiting,
                            quickly never seems quite quick enough.

                            You are quite right that the Klucove/Klucsó records will be found with
                            Nemsova.

                            Janet

                            _____

                            It's 2008 and I'm also looking for any Catholic church records for Nemsova.
                            It isn't named
                            in the LDS catalog in a keyword search. I tried the town with the nearest
                            old "post office"
                            but that didn't work.

                            I'm looking for Vavrus, Petrusek and Pechasek in Klucove (Klucsos under the
                            Hungarians)
                            but I know that the church was in the larger nearby town (called Nemsova).

                            Did the film crews miss the town?

                            thank you,
                            Ruth

                            yahoogroups.com, jajames@... wrote:

                            > I have been trying to use the LDS records search to find the film
                            > number for church records from Nemsova, Slovakia. I have not had any
                            > success. Can anyone help me? I am looking for Catholic Church records
                            > for the families of Mutnansky and Suchma.
                            > thank you,
                            > Judy

                          • rd1995
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
                              I looked at that fiche back in 2005 (which is how I knew about the post office) but the films were finally listed (preliminary cataloging, but that's okay) in the catalog in early 2009. Due to personal obligations, I wasn't able to spend time on genealogy then, but I have been able to request the films last month. It's always a month before my films come in; I can hardly wait!