Re: St. George

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 1999
      Thanks, Mark.

      Speaking of discoveries, I find that the name Zuzana was acceptable for
      Lutheran girls. That is an Old Testament name as far as I know (I never
      heard of a St. Susanna). Which brings the list to 6 names for girls. And
      Martin for Lutheran boys (which I bet did not mean St. Martin of Tours)
      which brings that list to 7.

      No wonder Slovaks went in for nicknames.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 1999
        Ahoj!

        Zuzanna is an old Slovak name; you will also see Zuzka...

        It's an old Hebrew word meaning LILY.
        There is a beautiful Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Wash, DC with a
        beautiful ikon of St. Zuzanna holding a lily on the ceiling.

        I read some where St. Zuzanna is the patron saint of the kitchen.

        Dobre vecer!
      • Durisek@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 1999
          In a message dated 7/31/99 9:44:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MJESKO@...
          writes:
          << I read some where St. Zuzanna is the patron saint of the kitchen.

          Lord help me, today I spent all day there! Is this a blessing or a curse?
          Names in my family of Lutherans were:
          Women: Zuzana, Katarina, Anna, Alzbeta (Elizabeth), Kristina, Olga, Judita
          Men: Martin, Jan, Stefan, Juraj, Pavel (Paul), Samuel, Adam
          By the time they got to the last names, there were a lot of kids in the
          family!
          Smiles, Zuzka D.
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 1999
            I will look her (St. Zuzana) up. I spend enough time in the kitchen myself.
            But, Zuzana or not, this is a singularly unimaginative bunch of Lutheran
            Slovaks in Rankovce. The only exotic names are those of the Hungarian
            aristos and perhaps the gypsies. Imagine going to school where virtually
            every girl was named Cathy, Linda, or Carol, the popular names of my cohort.