County Designations for Villages

  • Patricia
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 11, 2010
      Often when I locate a village on a map, I cannot name the county, which is important for locating where it is for me and others who may be interested. Any solution to this?
    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 11, 2010
        What kind of map are you looking at? Each will label geographic locations
        according to thier purpose. It also helps to just know the general locations of
        each of the okres, kraj, zupa, and so on.  Finding Kosicky kraj vs. Zemplin just
        takes different maps and comparing them- or finding one that lables all the
        designations.
        Ben

        ________________________________
        Often when I locate a village on a map, I cannot name the county, which is
        important for locating where it is for me and others who may be interested. Any
        solution to this?

        Messages in this topic (1)

        Recent Activity: * New Members 2 * New Files 2
        Visit Your Group
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS%c2%a0 -or- send  blank email to

        .

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 11, 2010
          What time period are you looking at? If you are looking for Hungarian names
          of villages and their counties, use www.bogardi.com. It will tell you not
          just the county (megye), but the country where it is presently located. This
          makes it much easier to find the village on the old lazarus county maps
          (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/). If you are not certain of the
          Hungarian form of a Slovak village name, you can usually find it by using
          the LDS Place Search, which should give both names.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 11, 2010
            >>> Often when I locate a village on a map, I cannot name the county, . . . for locating where it is for me and others who may be interested. Any solution to this? <<<

            Bill T's web site has all the village names as they appeared in the 1828 Hungarian Census but without accents. That enables anyone to look up (using SEARCH = Control F) the (old) village name and it designates the county = megye.

            I often use partial names of the villages if I am uncertain of the spelling.

            The other trick that I use is to simply look up the church records on the LDS site. The description tells you the county.
          • martha.andras
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 11, 2010
              Another suggestion is to download Hungarian Village Finder. Its a bit expensive ($55) but you'll have access to it all the time and has several different ways to search. It's been a tremendous help to me. Martha

              > Bill T's web site has all the village names as they appeared in the 1828 Hungarian Census but without accents. That enables anyone to look up (using SEARCH = Control F) the (old) village name and it designates the county = megye.
              >
              > I often use partial names of the villages if I am uncertain of the spelling.
              >
              > The other trick that I use is to simply look up the church records on the LDS site. The description tells you the county.

            • Frank R Plichta
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 12, 2010
                Are you interested in the OLD or NEW county names? A lot will depend on the
                time frame you are interested in. You may have choices between the
                Hungarian or Slovak name depending on time and place.

                The information is in:

                VLASTIVEDNÝ SLOVNÍK OBCÍ NA SLOVENSKU

                Pripravil Encyklopedický Ústav Sav,

                Veda, Vydavatel’stvo Slovenskej Akadémie Vied

                1977/1978, Bratislava

                I have already made the offer to look up old village names. The county
                names are included. See my earlier message on November 9th.

                Frank Plichta

                “Searching the World for PLICHTAs”

                _____

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 16, 2010
                  The village name is Mundus or Nove Mundus. Please and thank you.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                  > Are you interested in the OLD or NEW county names? A lot will depend on the
                  > time frame you are interested in. You may have choices between the
                  > Hungarian or Slovak name depending on time and place.
                  >

                  > The information is in:
                  >
                  > VLASTIVEDNÝ SLOVNÍK OBCÍ NA SLOVENSKU
                  >
                  > Pripravil Encyklopedický Ústav Sav,
                  >
                  > Veda, Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akadémie Vied
                  >
                  > 1977/1978, Bratislava
                  >
                  > I have already made the offer to look up old village names. The county
                  > names are included. See my earlier message on November 9th.
                  >

                  > Frank Plichta
                  >
                  > "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
                  >

                  > _____

                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 16, 2010
                    I used the standard sites and found no listing for Mundus or Nove Mundus in Slovakia.

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                    > Are you interested in the OLD or NEW county names? A lot will depend on the
                    > time frame you are interested in. You may have choices between the
                    > Hungarian or Slovak name depending on time and place.
                    >

                    > The information is in:
                    >
                    > VLASTIVEDNÝ SLOVNÍK OBCÍ NA SLOVENSKU
                    >
                    > Pripravil Encyklopedický Ústav Sav,
                    >
                    > Veda, Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akadémie Vied
                    >
                    > 1977/1978, Bratislava
                    >
                    > I have already made the offer to look up old village names. The county
                    > names are included. See my earlier message on November 9th.
                    >

                    > Frank Plichta
                    >
                    > "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
                    >

                    > _____

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 16, 2010
                      >>> The village name is Mundus or Nove Mundus. <<<

                      I will take another clue. What is it near? Any other known village?
                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 17, 2010
                        Nothing is even remotely showing up for this as a Slovak village. What is
                        the context where this was written? This may be way off base, but it makes
                        me think of sort of a Latinized writing for "New World," i.e., America.

                        Janet

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 17, 2010
                          Apparently near Hnilec, Harichovce, Spisska Nova Ves, all Spis.
                          Also, mistake in Nove Mundus, it is Novus Mundas. Since 4 or 5 children were born there and some died at Novus Mundas, perhaps they are the same place and has been absorbed into another village? These were around 1870's.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 17, 2010
                            A few more: Knolla and Staeppae/Sztupas/Stupae, Andrasfalu, Horni Ujizd Holesov.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 17, 2010
                              >>> The village name is Mundus or Nove Mundus. <<<

                              'Novus Mundus.' it simply means the New World. Thy died in the new world -- perhaps America.
                            • Janet Kozlay
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 19, 2010
                                Thanks, John, for giving support to my suggestion that it is Latin for "New
                                World," i.e., America

                                It surprises me that people still do not use the Radix site
                                (www.bogardi.com) as a primary source for finding Hungarian village names. I
                                find it the number one most useful source not only because it provides
                                county and present-day country, but because you need only search on a few
                                letters. This is especially useful when a village name is only partially
                                legible, and you can't even be sure of the first letter.

                                Janet

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 19, 2010
                                  Romantic, but these were birtha.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 19, 2010
                                    These villages listed a few lines below, I believe are near.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 19, 2010
                                      Here are a few more villages I have found for my Hrusovsky's. These are the old names and I need the new ones, please.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 19, 2010
                                        On the top line you can see a series of villages that were incorporated into Spisska Nova Ves and when.
                                        2197 Spišská Nová Ves SN/KI spiš. 1926–1954 pričl. o. Hnilec; 1960 vyčl. o. Mlynky; 1988–1990 pričl. o. Danišovce, Lieskovany.
                                        1786 Iglo, Neudorf, Nowa Wes, Iglovia, 1808 Igló, Iglovia, Neudorf, Nowá Wes, 1863–1873, 1888–1913 Igló, 1877–1882 Szepesigló, 1920– Spišská Nová Ves

                                        Harichovce has never absorbed another village. Nearby Markusovce in 1877 absorbed Stefanovce.

                                        Novus Mundas is just another way of saying New World in Latin. It is not listed in the 1995 Slovak Census by that spelling as a village past or present.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 19, 2010
                                          Liptovská Ondrašová: 1773 Andrasfalva, Andrassowa, 1786 Andráschfalwa, Andrassowce, 1808 Andrásfalva, Andrássowa, Ondrássowá, 1863–1913 Andrásfalu, 1920–1946 Ondrašová, 1946–1960 Liptovská Ondrašová

                                          679 Ondrašová TR/ZI turč.
                                          1773 Andrasfalva, Andrassowa, 1786 Andráschfalwa, Andrassowce, 1808 Andrásfalva, Andrássowá, Ondrássowa, 1863–1907 Andrásfalu, 1913 Turócandrásfalva, 1920 Ondrašová, Andrašová, 1927– Ondrašová

                                          There were no hits on any of the other names.

                                          The surname Hrusovsky in the 1995 Census had 735 listings in 146 places. In the top 10 are 3 in Spisska Nova Ves County. All three being relatively close to one another.

                                          Priezvisko HRUŠOVSKÝ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 735×, celkový počet lokalít: 146, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                                          HARICHOVCE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 86×;
                                          SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 36×;
                                          PETRŽALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 32×;
                                          NOVÉ MESTO NAD VÁHOM, okr. TRENČÍN (od r. 1996 NOVÉ MESTO NAD VÁHOM) – 27×;
                                          TRNAVA, okr. TRNAVA – 24×;
                                          SMIŽANY, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 21×;
                                          RUŽINOV (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 19×;
                                          POPRAD, okr. POPRAD – 18×;
                                          BRESTOVANY, okr. TRNAVA – 15×;
                                          STARÉ MESTO (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 13×;

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 20, 2010
                                            >>> Here are a few more villages I have found for my Hrusovsky's. These are the old names and I need the new ones, please.

                                            A few more: Knolla and Staeppae/Sztupas/Stupae, Andrasfalu, Horni Ujizd Holesov. <<<

                                            Here's an easy way, though not always effective. I simply plug in all or part of the vilage name into the PLACE SEARCH section of the LDS web site at: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                                            If you have a central location for the surname. The other villages will likely be within TWO villages distance. (The Adam Theorem, made famous right here.) The 1910 Hungarian county = megye maps are found at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/

                                            All the village names (without accents) from the 1828 Hungarian Census are (Word) searchable on Bill T's site at http://iabsi.com/ Your Staeppae/Sztupas/Stupae MIGHT be Sztupne, Trencsen Megye -- or maybe not. Is it in the correct county? Andras_______ comes up lots of times. Which one would you like?
                                          • John
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 20, 2010
                                              Knolla = Velka Knola. It is a 1265.9 meter mountain top northwest of Hnilec.
                                              Google Earth has some hiking photos but shows no buildings.

                                              Staeppae/Sztupas/Stupae = Stupy, southeast of Mlynky along the railroad track.
                                              Not shown on 1910 map. On Google Earth, go to Mlynky, Slovakia. Go south to the
                                              dip in the road to Rakovec. Stupy is just east of Rakovec and seems to be a
                                              couple of farm houses.

                                              Horni Ujizd
                                              Horni Ujezd is a village and municipality (obec) in Prerov District in the
                                              Olomouc Region of the Czech Republic

                                              Holesov
                                              Holesov is a town in the Zli¬n Region, Czech Republic.
                                            • Patricia
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 21, 2010
                                                Thanks, John, for these web sites and for your help. Pat