Re: [S-R] Help with translation please, kokosovce records

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
      Only because I have been trying to read these old records for 12 years I decided to look at your record. First, it is obviously a Hungarian record of the birth of Janos Juhasz.
      A the bottom of the parents block was the word Kozvendii.
      The place of birth appears to be Abvany 5sz, no listing for that, there was one for Abrany, Abranovce PO/PV šariš. Abrahány, Abrahanowcze, 1786 Abrahany, Abrahamowcze, 1808 Abrány, Abrányfalva, Abrany, Abranowce, Obranowce, 1863–1913 Ábrány, 1920– Abranovce
      The God-parents: Janos Magyar RK (Roman Catholic) and Anna Koscs (Kosics) RK.
      Then there were those notes in the last block. Here is my best attempt at reading them:
      Usolagvsan kindenels, hogy a szulok gov. szers. kath. Scsellel keneyelem okabolist reneszfeltessek szulollei.
      Hopefully, one of our member reads Hungarian and can make something of this.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2010
        Sammag,
        Here is what I find in the record:

        Lines 29 and 30:

        Baptismal record of the Roman Catholic church in Kokosovce.

        In 1889 on June 18 were born, and on June 20 were baptised, the twins
        Janos, a legitimate male, and his sister Anna a legitimate female.

        They are Children of Istvan Juhasz and Borbala Kapraly, who are commoners.[The word Kozrendu means commoner, or not nobility]

        They live in house number 5 in the village of Abrany [in Slovak the village of Abranovce]

        Sponsors to the son Janos are Janos Magyar, a Roman Catholic, and who owns his owns his own home, and his wife Anna Koscs, also a Roman Catholic.

        The sponsors to daughter Anna are Janos Remek, a tenant [renter not owning his own land] a Roman Catholic, and Anna Vasko, a Roman Catholic.

        Baptism performed by Janos Liber, pastor of the church in Kokosovce.

        The Hungarian note at the end is continuous through the names of both lines of the children. You should photograph it and find someone who reads Hungarian really well. [It says something to the effect that the parents have other children whose baptisms have been entered into a different church record and these will (or should be?) entered into that church record]

        Curt B.