Re: [S-R] MICHALOVE/MICHALOVCE

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
      If anyone cares to pursue a PhD, I am certain there is enough work here
      for at least 100 Thesis documents. :)

      Bill

      On Sun, October 31, 2010 10:48 pm, Ron wrote:
      > Assigning surnames is another topic, and when that started for nobility
      > and for peasants varied from region to region, so a general statement is
      > risky. Church records are a bit better, as they started in response to
      > government decrees... and there are again variations in when they started
      > for the different faiths and different regions.
      >
      > "it has been ordered to keep the register of baptised persons since 1515
      > by the Church congress in Veszprém, but there were necessary two more
      > synods (1564 and 1611) in Trnava to extend the keeping of registers
      > according to the appointment of the Trident council."
      > and
      > "1781, the Catholic church was required to keep the records for all other
      > faiths in the empire,"
      >
      > With all of the conflicting information out there, I will leave it to you
      > to find and confirm the information relevant in your area of interest. At
      > least a large part of the Mihalovce records are on line at LDS, so you can
      > see how far back those go...
      >
      > Ron
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      > Eventually, there is just the limit of the records. They do not got back
      > to Adam and Eve. Each society has a point where surnames started to be
      > used. At what point was that for the Slovaks? I have not learned that
      > yet. The Christian church began with the building of the first church in
      > Nitra in 800. When did the Church begin keeping records?

      Bill
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
        Michael,

        I deliberately skipped giving the citations, as I remembered the event - the A-H state calling for records to be kept by the church under Maria Theresa and her son Joseph who reigned (both as king of Hungary. she was not a queen) around the time of our American Revolution. It is interesting that the call for record keeping started long before, as stated in the one quotation.

        This wasn't intended to be a definitive posting, but one leading to an answer. I don't have time at the moment to research and compose a definitive answer I feel confident in.

        If you do a google search on the topic you should come up with the same (or similar) references and draw your own conclusions. Sorry to dissapoint!

        Ron

        > Ron,
        > Thanks for the information on record keeping.
        > For my own education can you send me the sources you quoted from?
        > A relative of wife did a family genealogy that was very extensive and self-published as a book. Her family was from the British Isles. He claims to have followed the family surname back to 1066, when he says surnames began to be used.
        > Michael

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
          Ron,
          Any clue to an answer is appreciated. Thanks for those.

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
            Peter is a well respected researcher in Slovakia
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/sarmany.html
            Bill

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
              OK, given the history file on my browser, I can confirm the reference Bill proposed is one I used =
              http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/sarmany.html
              with my quotation starting about line 8.

              What I want to read is one of Bill's collected references, a rather large (but worthwhile 2mb) pdf at
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Documents/heritage%20quest/hone_dec03%20AH%20BUFFET%20COURSE%202.pdf

              Another reference that looked interesting but didn't get used this time was at
              http://www.hungarianvillagefinder.com/cdrom/4steps.html

              Hope this helps, or at least is interesting!

              Ron