Looking for Ancestral Village need help

  • Eulis Landrith
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010
      Unfortunately, the birth certificate is from Pennsylvania for the daughter,
      Mary.  It gives her mother's maiden name as Clasevics.The birth certificate is a
      transcription, not the original copy. The death certificate from Ohio is for
      Mary Adam (wife of Mike Adamov) and gives her maiden name as Illasevich. I do
      wish I had something from "the old country" to use for information. Lucky enough
      to find out that Mike Adamov came from Zemplin, and that they are buried in a
      Byzantine Catholic cemetery in Ohio.  Where do I go from here?  Thanks! Sue
      Eppley Landrith

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010
        Eulis,
        I looked in the 1995 Slovak Census for your surnames. It also gives the top ten places those names can be found. Adamov had 201 listings in 60 places. Illasevich no listing, the "vich" ending is Russian, I believe. Clasevics had no listings.
        In genealogy "place" is the most important information since with that you know which records to search. Zemplin is not a village, it is a Hungarian County. Of the places where the Adamov name was found only the city Humenne with 7 Adamov is in Zemplin Disrict.
        These are the records available for Humene.
        Cirkevná matrika, 1768-1946 Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Humenné (Humenné)
        Cirkevná matrika, 1802-1911 Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Humenné (Humenné)
        Cirkevná matrika, 1871-1907 Reformovaná krestanská cirkev. Farský úrad Humenné (Humenné)