Re: [S-R] MICHALOVE/MICHALOVCE

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
      Martha,
      It was a wonderful trip. Seeing territory in a new season gives one a chance to enjoy a new view and beauty.
      You are correct that Juraj is in business and wants to generate such. Nothing wrong with that, per se. We live in a capitalist system and so do they now. Which means we have to be careful that the services offered are worth the cost. In the end what is it worth to break a "log jam" in a genealogy search? For some of us who are in the second decade of searching such vital information is almost worth anything. That is the part of the "game" of genealogy. What are you willing to pay for that vital piece of information that breaks your search wide open?
      For Juraj to post 18,000 marriages is no different from other people who do online "phishing" to get your personal information. He hopes that he get hits and then when people want to know about the posting he will only give it to them if they pay for it. If he was honest he would say that for $XX I will give you the information about this posting. By not listing a set cost he can then try to get people to pay as much as possible for the information. It may be in accordance with capitalism, but is it ethical according to the rules of the genealogy society he says he is a member of.
      You have come across a not so uncommon situation where the the family surname goes through a transformation to an Americanized form. You are lucky that you know those early generation spellings. Usually by the third generation of a surname be settled on in form the previous ones can be forgotten.
      It seem like the search never ends. Which is possible if you care to try and follow every branch of the family that you encounter. I suppose there are those that is the ultimate achievement. But for some of us the search is one that is relevant to our lives. And it is our call on how many generations we want to go back. Eventually, there is just the limit of the records. They do not got back to Adam and Eve. Each society has a point where surnames started to be used. At what point was that for the Slovaks? I have not learned that yet. The Christian church began with the building of the first church in Nitra in 800. When did the Church begin keeping records? Even with knowing those dates does not mean that it is relevant to most of us. Because most of us are of peasant roots. And they were not worthy of record keeping until much later. So we have to appreciate finding the records that do exist of our families.

      From: Michael Mojher
      Date: 10/29/2010 5:31:51 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      Martha,
      I'm back from my trip.
      I took a look again at the online records for Michalovce, 1874 Marriages,
      Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic. I found no marriage of Mihaly Andrasov
      and Julianna Pinovarnyik. I have no idea where Juraj found that record.
      Since he and I have a "history" my request for more information has not been
      answered. He might reply to you. Tell him that you spotted the record and
      would like to know where and which religion the record was in.
      Not being able to find the record makes for a frustrating search.
      Michael

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010
        Assigning surnames is another topic, and when that started for nobility and for peasants varied from region to region, so a general statement is risky. Church records are a bit better, as they started in response to government decrees... and there are again variations in when they started for the different faiths and different regions.

        "it has been ordered to keep the register of baptised persons since 1515 by the Church congress in Veszprém, but there were necessary two more synods (1564 and 1611) in Trnava to extend the keeping of registers according to the appointment of the Trident council."
        and
        "1781, the Catholic church was required to keep the records for all other faiths in the empire,"

        With all of the conflicting information out there, I will leave it to you to find and confirm the information relevant in your area of interest. At least a large part of the Mihalovce records are on line at LDS, so you can see how far back those go...

        Ron

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
          Ron,
          Thanks for the information on record keeping.
          For my own education can you send me the sources you quoted from?
          A relative of wife did a family genealogy that was very extensive and self-published as a book. Her family was from the British Isles. He claims to have followed the family surname back to 1066, when he says surnames began to be used.
          Michael

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
            If anyone cares to pursue a PhD, I am certain there is enough work here
            for at least 100 Thesis documents. :)

            Bill

            On Sun, October 31, 2010 10:48 pm, Ron wrote:
            > Assigning surnames is another topic, and when that started for nobility
            > and for peasants varied from region to region, so a general statement is
            > risky. Church records are a bit better, as they started in response to
            > government decrees... and there are again variations in when they started
            > for the different faiths and different regions.
            >
            > "it has been ordered to keep the register of baptised persons since 1515
            > by the Church congress in Veszprém, but there were necessary two more
            > synods (1564 and 1611) in Trnava to extend the keeping of registers
            > according to the appointment of the Trident council."
            > and
            > "1781, the Catholic church was required to keep the records for all other
            > faiths in the empire,"
            >
            > With all of the conflicting information out there, I will leave it to you
            > to find and confirm the information relevant in your area of interest. At
            > least a large part of the Mihalovce records are on line at LDS, so you can
            > see how far back those go...
            >
            > Ron
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            > Eventually, there is just the limit of the records. They do not got back
            > to Adam and Eve. Each society has a point where surnames started to be
            > used. At what point was that for the Slovaks? I have not learned that
            > yet. The Christian church began with the building of the first church in
            > Nitra in 800. When did the Church begin keeping records?

            Bill
          • Ron
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
              Michael,

              I deliberately skipped giving the citations, as I remembered the event - the A-H state calling for records to be kept by the church under Maria Theresa and her son Joseph who reigned (both as king of Hungary. she was not a queen) around the time of our American Revolution. It is interesting that the call for record keeping started long before, as stated in the one quotation.

              This wasn't intended to be a definitive posting, but one leading to an answer. I don't have time at the moment to research and compose a definitive answer I feel confident in.

              If you do a google search on the topic you should come up with the same (or similar) references and draw your own conclusions. Sorry to dissapoint!

              Ron

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                Ron,
                Any clue to an answer is appreciated. Thanks for those.

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Peter is a well respected researcher in Slovakia
                  http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/sarmany.html
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
                    OK, given the history file on my browser, I can confirm the reference Bill proposed is one I used =
                    http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/sarmany.html
                    with my quotation starting about line 8.

                    What I want to read is one of Bill's collected references, a rather large (but worthwhile 2mb) pdf at
                    http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Documents/heritage%20quest/hone_dec03%20AH%20BUFFET%20COURSE%202.pdf

                    Another reference that looked interesting but didn't get used this time was at
                    http://www.hungarianvillagefinder.com/cdrom/4steps.html

                    Hope this helps, or at least is interesting!

                    Ron