Re: [S-R] Looking for ancestral village-need help

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2010
      is the birth certificate from the old country? if so there are likely clues
      there - post it and i am sure one of our super sleuths can help

      helene

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
        >>> Mike Adamov,b.1892 in Austria-name of the town from his WW1 draft card. . . . the county was Zemplin.This is what I get for the name- Borotza-Bonotza, but no such place exists. . . . Family names involved are: Adamov, Drobnak, and Illasevich(death certificate)and Clasevics (birth certificate) for maiden name of mother. <<<

        Assuming that you have (at least) the first letter right, your Zemplen Megye (county) choices are Bacska, Bacsko, Banocz, Banszka, Barancs, Barko, Baskocz, Battyan, Bekecs, Bely, Benkocz, Bereczki (Also-), Bereczki (Felso-), Beretto, Berzek, Bisztra, Bodrog-Keresztur, Bodrog-Olaszi, Bodzas, Bodzas-Ujlak, Boly, Borro, Borsi, Bosnyicza, Brezovecz, Bruzsnyicza, Bukocz, Butka.

        My selection is Bereczki (as per 1828 Census list of villages). These villages (Also = Lower and Felso = Upper) now fall on the Hungarian side of the border, south of Satoraljaujhely.

        Good luck.
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
          I would try Borosnya, also called Brusnyicza, presently Brusnica in
          Slovakia. LDS has Greek Catholic records available for this village and
          luckily for you they are on line. So it only costs you a little time to
          check out to see if your names exist there.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
            If Mike Adamov had a social security card, you usually can find out the name of his birth village by ordering a hard copy of his ss card application, for $27; it takes about 2 weeks to arrive via mail. This is how I discovered my great-grandmother's birth village (she also was born in 1892.) Keep in mind that it was still Austria-Hungary in 1892 so village listed on SS application may have a different name variation. By the time my gr-grandma applied for a social security card, Austria-Hungary was long gone, so she used the modern name of village on her app, but I don't know if everyone did this or not. In addition, she used the Slovak spelling of her surname and parents names (Solcany.) However, when she immigrated in 1912, the Hungarian/Maygar spelling was used (Szolcsanyi), so one thing that I have found helpful is always, always cross reference village names, surnames, etc with old/new spellings and educated guesses :-).

            If you do get the SS application, he may not have been the one who filled it out, so again spelling may be different on application than elsewhere. My gr-grandmother's application was filled out by someone who was fairly accurate in their spelling, but I know it was not her because her signature isn't even close to the printing on the application, not even the same pen.

            Finally, one thing I have found to be rampant is transcription errors. I ALWAYS look at the original document when available. (sorry if this has been mentioned before, I just joined the group this morning.)

            It's hard to comment on the village without seeing the original document, but based on what you have here, my first guess would be "Bánovce nad Ondavou" The other names of village have been:
            1773 Banócz, Banowcze, 1786 Banocz, Banowcze, 1808 Bánócz, Bánowce, 1863–1913 Bánóc, 1920 Bánovce, 1927– Bánovce nad Ondavou

            hope this helps

            Dina

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "EulisL" <landlsjj@...> wrote:

            > I am helping my daughter in law with her genealogy-her paternal grandmother is of Czech/Slovak descent. After much searching, I think she is Carpatho-Rusyn.Her father Mike Adamov,b.1892 in Austria-name of the town from his WW1 draft card. I cannot find the town or be sure of the spelling,other than the county was Zemplin.This is what I get for the name- Borotza-Bonotza, but no such place exists. Could this be Borocz or Borovce when pronounced with an accent? I have both parents' death certificates, but they only give names, not places other than Slovakland. I can't find more of the family without the name of the village. I am stuck. Family names involved are: Adamov, Drobnak, and Illasevich(death certificate)and Clasevics (birth certificate) for maiden name of mother. Thanks for any help Sue Eppley Landrith

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
              Dina,
              Welcome to Slovak-Roots. Thanks for your contribution. Often newcomers are not as willing to participate. Have you been working on your genealogy long? What place and surname?