Re: Hradisko

  • JimD
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
      I presume your relative was Father Kelly Theodorus, head priest of the Hradisko Greek Catholic Church, 1934 – 1943. Curiously, his predecessor was Father Sedlak Theodorus, head priest, 1918 – 1934.

      This Hradisko is the "Hradisko, Presovsky Kraj -- Presov – Slovakia." The village, just north of Presov, had a population of 440 in 1828 but is now a ghost town with only about 9 retirees. The families have moved to the larger cities for employment but use their former residence for weekend get-aways. The church is still used on occasion for special masses.

      I have digital photos of Hradisko and the church (very beautiful inside), and I have done extensive research on the families in Hradisko from 1860 – 1895. I know of only one other researcher interested in Hradisko, but I have e-mail contact with relatives in Slovakia from Hradisko. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail.

      Jim Dernar
      Ashburn, VA
      Cantina2000@...
    • jtgen96
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
        This is just the information that I needed. It is greatly appreciated. I found the person you suggested we contact about cyrillic writing on the list and send him an email. We haven't had a response. I know that it has only been a short time, but I am wondering -- do you think he checks that email address when he is not visiting this site?

        Thanks again.

        Gwen

        > Gwen,
        > There are a couple of Hradisko's, famous one in Moravia, another near Kezmarok, but if you want the one with the Greek Catholic Church, it is a few miles north of Presov.
        >
        > A small village but known for its Greek Catholic church, it may now be governed through its neighbor village Terna. See the map on the web site
        >
        > http://www.terna.sk/
        >
        > Curt B.
        >
        > Curt B.
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@> wrote:
        > >
        > > We found a record that lists a member of our family serving as a priest in Hradisko between 1934 and 1943. We tried to find this village on map quest, but were asked to choose one of the following. Which would we choose.
        > >
        > > Hradisko, Presovsky Kraj -- Kezmarok - Slovakia
        > >
        > > Hradisko, Presovsky Kraj -- Presov - Slovakia
        > >
        > > Hradisk, Presovsky Kraj -- Svidnik - Slovakia

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
          Gwen,
          Patience, he is a very busy person with lots of demands.
          CB