Hradisko

  • jtgen96
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2010
      We found a record that lists a member of our family serving as a priest in Hradisko between 1934 and 1943. We tried to find this village on map quest, but were asked to choose one of the following. Which would we choose.

      Hradisko, Presovsky Kraj -- Kezmarok - Slovakia

      Hradisko, Presovsky Kraj -- Presov - Slovakia

      Hradisk, Presovsky Kraj -- Svidnik - Slovakia
    • Frank R Plichta
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2010
        In the absence of any specific documentation, you would always try:

        Ee ne, me ne, mi ne, mo.

        Enjoy,

        Frank

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2010
          Gwen,
          There are a couple of Hradisko's, famous one in Moravia, another near Kezmarok, but if you want the one with the Greek Catholic Church, it is a few miles north of Presov.

          A small village but known for its Greek Catholic church, it may now be governed through its neighbor village Terna. See the map on the web site

          http://www.terna.sk/

          Curt B.

          Curt B.
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@...> wrote:

          > We found a record that lists a member of our family serving as a priest in Hradisko between 1934 and 1943. We tried to find this village on map quest, but were asked to choose one of the following. Which would we choose.
          >
          > Hradisko, Presovsky Kraj -- Kezmarok - Slovakia
          >
          > Hradisko, Presovsky Kraj -- Presov - Slovakia
          >
          > Hradisk, Presovsky Kraj -- Svidnik - Slovakia

        • Alan Antoska
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 28, 2010
            Is it PC to still use that ditty?

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28, 2010
              Only if you don't finish it. Those that can finish it can date themselves.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
                I presume your relative was Father Kelly Theodorus, head priest of the Hradisko Greek Catholic Church, 1934 – 1943. Curiously, his predecessor was Father Sedlak Theodorus, head priest, 1918 – 1934.

                This Hradisko is the "Hradisko, Presovsky Kraj -- Presov – Slovakia." The village, just north of Presov, had a population of 440 in 1828 but is now a ghost town with only about 9 retirees. The families have moved to the larger cities for employment but use their former residence for weekend get-aways. The church is still used on occasion for special masses.

                I have digital photos of Hradisko and the church (very beautiful inside), and I have done extensive research on the families in Hradisko from 1860 – 1895. I know of only one other researcher interested in Hradisko, but I have e-mail contact with relatives in Slovakia from Hradisko. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail.

                Jim Dernar
                Ashburn, VA
                Cantina2000@...
              • jtgen96
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
                  This is just the information that I needed. It is greatly appreciated. I found the person you suggested we contact about cyrillic writing on the list and send him an email. We haven't had a response. I know that it has only been a short time, but I am wondering -- do you think he checks that email address when he is not visiting this site?

                  Thanks again.

                  Gwen

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 29, 2010
                    Gwen,
                    Patience, he is a very busy person with lots of demands.
                    CB