Important Church Record

  • jtgen96
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 25, 2010
      We have found some records on the Family History Library films that appear to be very important in our long search for family in Slovakia. The problem is that they are in Hungarian and Cyrillic. We are unable to do more than see that they probably contain information that we need. Can someone help us?
    • jtgen96
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 25, 2010
        We have added copies of the documents to the "Files" section on this site. They are in the folder "KELLO DOCUMENTS." Any help you can provide will be deeply appreciated.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@...> wrote:

        > We have found some records on the Family History Library films that appear to be very important in our long search for family in Slovakia. The problem is that they are in Hungarian and Cyrillic. We are unable to do more than see that they probably contain information that we need. Can someone help us?

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 25, 2010
          Please tell us what you already know and what you need to know. Can you read the dates listed? The names? The column headings?

          What family names do you already have? One death record here says Ioannova Kellii the widow, maiden name Adamkovich. Is this news?

          Curt B.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
            I have written a summary sheet of information we know that is pertinent to our current questions.

            Yes, I can read the dates, but not the months.

            No, the names are a problem. The name you have given is news. Many thanks.

            The summary sheet that now appears in the KELLO DOCUMENTS folder addresses your questions and possibly those of others.

            We sincerely hope that you and others on the site can help us move forward.

            Thanks again.

            Gwen

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
              Gwen,
              OK that helps.
              In the example I cited it reads:
              Death 23 Feb 1928, the widow of John Kello, maiden name Adamkovich. Born in Stara Celo (don't know whats in the parenthesis )in Zemplin. and died here in Olshavitsa at age 65. I'll look at the others too.

              Curt B.

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                The marriage record says:

                On
                Feb 26 1922 in Olsavica, were married Theodor Kelii and Yolana Lukach. He born in Kralovits, she born in Batrovtsi. He aged 32 [thus born about 1890] She aged 30 [thus born about 1892]. Neither before had been married. I am unable to read the very abbreviated note beneath the groom's name. A priest of the eparchy???

                CB

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                  Gwen,
                  The Mikova death record:

                  On 17 March 1947 died F[Father?] Theodor Kellii age 49 [thus born about 1898] the husband of Ramili Zandovou. No place of birth given for either. A very sparse entry.

                  Curt B.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                    Curt,

                    This is wonderful. I don't mean to increase your work load, but I really do want to understand this. So I am hoping that you will continue with your great instruction. I was intuiting the headings at the tops of the columns, but I don't really know what most of them mean. Could you fill me in? Thank you so much.

                    To save time you can just type your answers for each column after the dash.

                    Column 1 -- I know is date, month, year
                    Column 2 -- I know is name, but there is much more, what? -----

                    Column 2 -- What is bg.? And why is it underlined? ---

                    Column 3 -- I think is birth village, county, death, but there is much more, what? -----

                    Column 4 -- I know is gender -- male or female, but what is written there?

                    Column 5 -- I know is year of age, but what is written above the number:

                    Column 6 (second page) -- I have no clue what the heading says ---

                    or what is written there. ---

                    Column 7 -- heading --

                    what is written there ---

                    Column 8 -- heading says ---

                    what is written there ---

                    Column 9 -- heading says ---

                    what is written there --

                    I DON'T SEE THE NAME JOHN KELLO ANYWHERE -- WHERE IS IT? ---

                    I really admire your ability to read this. : - )

                    Gwen

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                      I think I can match this up pretty well. There is one question, however, and that is what do the 4 columns on the second page say.

                      Thanks again. You have been very helpful.

                      Gwen

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                        Curt,

                        Again, I think you missed the second page. Can you tell me what the last 4 column on the second page say?

                        Gwen

                        > Gwen,
                        > The Mikova death record:
                        >
                        > On 17 March 1947 died F[Father?] Theodor Kellii age 49 [thus born about 1898] the husband of Ramili Zandovou. No place of birth given for either. A very sparse entry.
                        >
                        > Curt B.
                        >
                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > We have found some records on the Family History Library films that appear to be very important in our long search for family in Slovakia. The problem is that they are in Hungarian and Cyrillic. We are unable to do more than see that they probably contain information that we need. Can someone help us?

                      • Nemam Meno
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                          Greetings,

                          Anyone here with the family name "Gaura" or "Gavura" or anyone knows of anyone
                          with that name?

                          Thank you,

                          Frank

                        • Alice-Lorraine von Halle
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                            Frank,

                            I lived next door for many years to a John and Katherine Gavura in Wisconsin.
                            They are deceawsed but there are relatives that I keep in contact with.

                            Alice

                            ________________________________
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                              Gwen,
                              The records you are using have headings in Hungarian, you can find decent translations of them at the following web site

                              http://homepages.bmi.net/jjaso/

                              down on the lefthand side click on Baptism, Marriage, or Death and you will get a display that gives the Hungarian headings and their meaning in English. The headings they display are almost exactly the ones you have. Note however that the priest who fills out the registers just writes down pretty much what he pleases and sometimes leaves a column blank or information variant from the heading.

                              As to the Kello name, I was using the name you provided. The text of everything you are asking about is in a Rusin or very Eastern Slovak dialect, and written in cursive cyrillic alphabet. So the problem in expressing individual proper names in English is difficult. For example, in cyrillic there is a single character for the english ch sound, there is a standard for transliterating this into English which produced the name Mitrovich which I gave you. In Slovak it would be Mitrovic~. You mentioned that the name was also written Kelly, which makes a lot of sense in English since it reproduces the sound of the name as written here in the registers. I guess I should have consistently given it in English as Kellii, since the cyrillic uses six characters to give the sound.

                              In the record below you cannot see Kellii name, it is written in the genitive case of the dialect which means it is spelled with different endings. Slovak does this today as well.

                              Let me look again at the records you posted and I'll see if I missed anything.

                              Best,

                              Curt B.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 26, 2010
                                Gwen,
                                You're right, I missed the second page of the marriage of Theodore Kellii and Yolana,

                                The second page has:

                                witnesses at marriage are Nikolai Kellii and Antonia Shvarza [Schwartz?]
                                There is a description of Nikolai's work or position , but I am utterly flummoxed as to what it is, while readable [maybe] it doesn't seem to correspond to anything in Slovak or Ukrainian.

                                [I notice you have a Nikolaj listed as a son of Joannes, but this Theodor is clearly born about 1890. Though they may be cousins related to Alexander or Antonius. Way too much speculation]

                                Marriage performed by Dmitrii Petrenko pastor of Olshavits

                                Marriage banns given only twice with a dispensation.

                                Since you are familiar with the work of Cisarik and the priestly families, you might try to forward this record to him. He certainly has much better language familiarity and knows priests who could probably tell you what it says about Nikolai Kellii quickly.

                                Curt B.

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@...> wrote:

                                > Curt,
                                >
                                > Again, I think you missed the second page. Can you tell me what the last 4 column on the second page say?
                                >

                                > Gwen
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Gwen,
                                > > The Mikova death record:
                                > >
                                > > On 17 March 1947 died F[Father?] Theodor Kellii age 49 [thus born about 1898] the husband of Ramili Zandovou. No place of birth given for either. A very sparse entry.
                                > >
                                > > Curt B.
                                > >
                                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > We have found some records on the Family History Library films that appear to be very important in our long search for family in Slovakia. The problem is that they are in Hungarian and Cyrillic. We are unable to do more than see that they probably contain information that we need. Can someone help us?

                              • helene cincebeaux
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 27, 2010
                                  Hi Frank - i have 3 people listing this surname in the Slovak Pride data base -
                                  if you would like more info contact me at e mail below

                                  helene
                                  helenezx@...

                                  ________________________________
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 27, 2010
                                    There are Gavura and Gavora families listed in the 1869 census for Brezova
                                    pod Bradlom (http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/genealogy/genbrez1869.html);
                                    also in the Lutheran church records for Brezova and for Trinity Slovak
                                    Lutheran Church in Chicago.

                                    Anabeth

                                    On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Nemam Meno <menonemam@...> wrote:

                                    > Greetings,
                                    >
                                    > Anyone here with the family name "Gaura" or "Gavura" or anyone knows of
                                    > anyone
                                    > with that name?
                                    >
                                    > Thank you,
                                    >
                                    > Frank

                                  • jtgen96
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 27, 2010
                                      Curt,

                                      Thank you so much. You have been so very helpful. We would not have gotten very far without your willingness to share you skills. Now we understand enough to make some good decisions and possibly some more progress.

                                      Gwen

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 27, 2010
                                        Curt,
                                        One last question. I think you missed the last page on this one, too. Can you tell me what the last page says?

                                        Gwen

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 27, 2010
                                          Gwen,
                                          Yes, sorry I missed these second pages.

                                          This one has illness or cause of death in first column. I can't understand what is meant by the particular words here.

                                          Next did they receive last sacraments? just a dash,so apparently no.

                                          next date and place of burial is given as 20.III.1947 in Mikova.

                                          next column is priest presiding at burial was Joannes Latsko with some explanation of where he is from [I can't make it out]. Notice here that in this death register, the presiding priest in previous burials on this page is the very pastor Theodor Kellii whose death is recorded in this line.

                                          As a last note you might want to contact by e-mail Joe Armata in Pittsburg who often reads this list, and ask him if he is willing to take a look at the records you posted. You will find him among the group members.
                                          He reads cyrillic script and knows the language well and he can make more out of the things I can't understand.

                                          CB

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 27, 2010
                                            Curt,

                                            We will follow your suggestions. Again, we can not thank you enough.

                                            Gwen