Putting a face to an individual in ancestry

  • Rick Mayernik
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20, 2010
      Hello

      I now this is a simple thing to do (I've done it before).

      But i cannot find the location to add a photo (to a tree in ancestry) - as
      part of the persons profile, not a media photo.

      Please help.

      Thank you.

    • B A Kostelnik
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 20, 2010
        Hi from a first-time post-er:
        Go to the person's profile in "overview" mode, and right below the
        word "overview" is "add photos". When you're adding it, look under
        the photo to be sure the box "use as profile picture" is checked.
        Barb K
        Cincinnati, OH

        At 05:09 PM 10/20/2010, you wrote:

        >Hello
        >
        >I now this is a simple thing to do (I've done it before).
        >
        >But i cannot find the location to add a photo (to a tree in ancestry) - as
        >part of the persons profile, not a media photo.
        >
        >Please help.
        >
        >Thank you.

      • haluska
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 20, 2010
          Why would you want to give all your hard work away?

          Just post the names and dates and leave them as bait for possible relations to contact you....

          You then decide if you wish to share....

          Ancestry then ownes your pics and info.

          Some mis-guilded fool is going to Hack your tree and be totally wrong and you will never get that person and all his other relations out of your tree! (Stupid Leaves)

          Some dope is going to have your Buba posted as his family!

          Get a genealogy program like family tree maker and have more control over your on-line info...

          Just a thought,

          Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, B A Kostelnik <bak@...> wrote:

          > Hi from a first-time post-er:
          > Go to the person's profile in "overview" mode, and right below the
          > word "overview" is "add photos". When you're adding it, look under
          > the photo to be sure the box "use as profile picture" is checked.
          > Barb K
          > Cincinnati, OH
          >
          > At 05:09 PM 10/20/2010, you wrote:
          > >
          > >Hello
          > >
          > >I now this is a simple thing to do (I've done it before).
          > >
          > >But i cannot find the location to add a photo (to a tree in ancestry) - as
          > >part of the persons profile, not a media photo.
          > >
          > >Please help.
          > >
          > >Thank you.

        • B A Kostelnik
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 21, 2010
            Hi, Dennis,

            I've had info on ancestry.com since 2000, but I've never found any of
            it wrongly added to anyone else's tree. Just my experience. Maybe
            I'm blessed!

            Also, when I find info in someone else's tree, I'm very careful about
            adding it, but also VERY GRATEFUL for it. :-) So, thanks to everyone
            who puts their ancestors, pictures, and other documents on there.

            I have seen some preposterous things in others' trees, but they don't
            affect me. Like people living in Alsace, France, who were supposedly
            born in Mendocino County, California in 1658. ;-) I leave that stuff out! lol

            BTW, I'd like to amend my directions to Rick ...the link to click is
            "Upload Photos", not "add photos", and it's also just below the box
            labeled "Media Gallery", on individuals who have media already
            added. Sorry for not looking more closely before I responded.

            Barb

            At 10:59 PM 10/20/2010, you wrote:

            >Why would you want to give all your hard work away?
            >
            >Just post the names and dates and leave them as bait for possible
            >relations to contact you....
            >
            >You then decide if you wish to share....
            >
            >Ancestry then ownes your pics and info.
            >
            >Some mis-guilded fool is going to Hack your tree and be totally
            >wrong and you will never get that person and all his other relations
            >out of your tree! (Stupid Leaves)
            >
            >Some dope is going to have your Buba posted as his family!
            >
            >Get a genealogy program like family tree maker and have more control
            >over your on-line info...
            >
            >Just a thought,
            >
            >Dennis
            >

            >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, B A Kostelnik <bak@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi from a first-time post-er:
            > > Go to the person's profile in "overview" mode, and right below the
            > > word "overview" is "add photos". When you're adding it, look under
            > > the photo to be sure the box "use as profile picture" is checked.
            > > Barb K
            > > Cincinnati, OH
            > >
            > > At 05:09 PM 10/20/2010, you wrote:
            > > >
            > > >Hello
            > > >
            > > >I now this is a simple thing to do (I've done it before).
            > > >
            > > >But i cannot find the location to add a photo (to a tree in ancestry) - as
            > > >part of the persons profile, not a media photo.
            > > >
            > > >Please help.
            > > >
            > > >Thank you.

          • tom geiss
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 21, 2010
              Maybe I've asked this before; but there is a site called www.rodokmen.com (suggested to me by a pen pal in Bratislava) where I have posted my grandparents names, their grandparents,etc, and then their children and grandchildren.
              The problen is, when others have tried to view the site, which is centered around Jan Gurko, and Maria Pasztorek, the site does not show the rest of the family.???
              It comes up on my computer, but not on other computers. Why? Is there something that others should click, or type in??? Supposedly someone else should be able to add their own contribution??? Let me know if you'e able to view it all; and what other steps are necessary. Tom
              I've had info on ancestry.com since 2000, but I've never found any of
              it wrongly added to anyone else's tree. Just my experience. Maybe
              I'm blessed!

              Also, when I find info in someone else's tree, I'm very careful about
              adding it, but also VERY GRATEFUL for it. :-) So, thanks to everyone
              who puts their ancestors, pictures, and other documents on there.

              I have seen some preposterous things in others' trees, but they don't
              affect me. Like people living in Alsace, France, who were supposedly
              born in Mendocino County, California in 1658. ;-) I leave that stuff out! lol

              BTW, I'd like to amend my directions to Rick ...the link to click is
              "Upload Photos", not "add photos", and it's also just below the box
              labeled "Media Gallery", on individuals who have media already
              added. Sorry for not looking more closely before I responded.

              Barb

              At 10:59 PM 10/20/2010, you wrote:

              >Why would you want to give all your hard work away?
              >
              >Just post the names and dates and leave them as bait for possible
              >relations to contact you....
              >
              >You then decide if you wish to share....
              >
              >Ancestry then ownes your pics and info.
              >
              >Some mis-guilded fool is going to Hack your tree and be totally
              >wrong and you will never get that person and all his other relations
              >out of your tree! (Stupid Leaves)
              >
              >Some dope is going to have your Buba posted as his family!
              >
              >Get a genealogy program like family tree maker and have more control
              >over your on-line info...
              >
              >Just a thought,
              >
              >Dennis
              >

              >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, B A Kostelnik <bak@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi from a first-time post-er:
              > > Go to the person's profile in "overview" mode, and right below the
              > > word "overview" is "add photos". When you're adding it, look under
              > > the photo to be sure the box "use as profile picture" is checked.
              > > Barb K
              > > Cincinnati, OH
              > >
              > > At 05:09 PM 10/20/2010, you wrote:
              > > >
              > > >Hello
              > > >
              > > >I now this is a simple thing to do (I've done it before).
              > > >
              > > >But i cannot find the location to add a photo (to a tree in ancestry) - as
              > > >part of the persons profile, not a media photo.
              > > >
              > > >Please help.
              > > >
              > > >Thank you.

            • Carl
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2010
                Tom,
                I was able to see your whole tree at Rodokmen.com without any problem. I just did a search for Jan Gurko and then clicked on your file to have the tree come up. Not sure why other's are having a problem.
                CK

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tom geiss" <tomfgurka@...> wrote:

                > Maybe I've asked this before; but there is a site called www.rodokmen.com (suggested to me by a pen pal in Bratislava) where I have posted my grandparents names, their grandparents,etc, and then their children and grandchildren.
                > The problen is, when others have tried to view the site, which is centered around Jan Gurko, and Maria Pasztorek, the site does not show the rest of the family.???
                > It comes up on my computer, but not on other computers. Why? Is there something that others should click, or type in??? Supposedly someone else should be able to add their own contribution??? Let me know if you'e able to view it all; and what other steps are necessary. Tom

              • B A Kostelnik
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2010
                  I assume one has to sign up with the site to be able to do a search on it?
                  Barb

                • Mary Jaros
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 23, 2010
                    I did sign up and still have difficulty accessing the trees- help!