Re: [S-R] Re: On Sleeping in 1880's

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2010
      In Slovak the word for castle as we normally think of it is hrad. They also have the work kastiel which we would hear as our word castle. But it is the Slovak word for a manor house. On my first trip we saw a sign for a kastiel and expected a castle. It was a lovely large house.
      It depends on where the village is located that determines the building materials used. In my ancestral village that is located in the Carpathian Mountains a square log cabin house with a wood shingle roof was the norm. The logs were square, the house rectangular.
      I just read about house building in Slovakia. One of the interesting reasons for using a thatch roof was if it caught fire it was possible to pull the burning area off and save the rest.