Rankovce, Abov

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 1999
      Dear Maura and List,

      I just started to rummage around in the FHC microfilm with Lutheran baptism
      records for Rank (Rankovce), 1755-1842. Got as far as 1787 tonight. I have
      never done this before, but I assume it would be a good idea to write down
      all the surnames I can see, to pass them on to other searchers, right? If
      you are a Szabo, this must be your homeland (unless Szabo is like Smith or
      Jones). There were heaps of Hudaks and Vargas, and some other names
      recurred frequently.

      I spotted some maybe-in-laws: Fedors right from 1755, and Szabados in 1781.
      My biggest hit, however, was finding a real live Vangor in 1782. Martin
      Vangor was somebody's godfather in Rank. So the "real" Vangor family was
      living around C~akanovce (Csa~kan~y) when the Vangor female married into
      the Samko family around 1800. No Samkos in sight yet.

      Looking for small Slovak needles in a big Hungarian haystack.... it is
      amazing when a name jumps right out at you!

      Andrea
    • CPRAMUKA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 1999
        In a message dated 6/25/99 2:01:53 AM, drav@... writes:

        << the Vangor female married into
        the Samko family around 1800. No Samkos in sight yet. >>

        Andrea,

        I ran across a Maria S(Z)AMKO who married George PRAMUKA in Bridgeport in the
        1890's. Maria was from Pecovska Nova Ves which is between Lipany and Sabinov
        on the Torysa River. Pecovska Nova Ves also used to be know as Pechi-Ufalu.

        Deirdre
        Searching PRAMUKA and FARKASOVSKY from Jamnik, Spis; WITKO from Plavnica,
        Saris; MATAVA from Nizne Ruzbachy, Spis; and LUKAC(S) from Mala Lodina, Saris.
      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 1999
          Hi Andrea,

          This is just a hint.... take it for what its worth!

          I found there were 5 films that covered Sabinov, where I am primarily
          researching. I chose to pay to put them on permanent loan at the FHC as
          I go back to them constantly, every time I get a new piece of
          information and need to look up something else. I have 4 of the 5 now
          and will probably get the last one soon.

          It became very expensive copying every page I found a name on that I
          "thought" was related to me at .25 cents a page. Yet I am the kind of
          person who prefers the copies of those I know to be related... the
          differences in the spellings and handwriting can sometimes be important.
          I was also able to make a copy, then do photocopies at school to send to
          relatives to show them.

          This was especially important when I was looking for Nechaseks in
          Sabinov, we had no proof that was where he was from before he went to
          the US, other than family story. Yet I found a name, date, childrens
          names, everything matched but the name was so mangled, something like
          Nezasceick or something. So the copies allowed the cousins to see the
          entries and discuss the situation via letters and phone calls.

          As we get more people on the list we may be able to share more
          information about what films we have access to and help each other.

          My dream is to one day transcribe those Sabinov records, especially as
          the priest who did most of the entries is my gr/gr/uncle. Of course,
          I'll probably be 100 before I get around to doing it!

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 1999
            Thanks -- I will pass this on to the Probable Cousins who are researching
            the Samko family. My branch changed their name to Vangor around 1840,
            taking it from the female line. No idea why.

            > the Samko family around 1800. No Samkos in sight yet. >>
            >
            > Andrea,
            >
            > I ran across a Maria S(Z)AMKO who married George PRAMUKA in Bridgeport in
            the
            > 1890's. Maria was from Pecovska Nova Ves which is between Lipany and
            Sabinov
            > on the Torysa River. Pecovska Nova Ves also used to be know as
            Pechi-Ufalu.

            > Deirdre
            > Searching PRAMUKA and FARKASOVSKY from Jamnik, Spis; WITKO from Plavnica,
            > Saris; MATAVA from Nizne Ruzbachy, Spis; and LUKAC(S) from Mala Lodina,
            Saris.

            > With more than 20 million e-mails exchanged daily...
            > http://www.onelist.com
            > ...ONElist is home to the liveliest discussions on the Internet!

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 1999
              Dear Maura and List,

              I am planning to move but I like the idea of having those files on permanent
              hold at the FHC. Do they make a extra copy of the microfilm? Meanwhile,
              my Dad is beside himself with excitement, because "your" Joe and Olly Fabry
              are the cousins he remembers in Bridgeport -- in fact, he lived next door to
              them. So now he is picking old photographs of the family out of his album
              to scan into a computer for me.

              Looks like we are not Probable Cousins, but our families were friends and
              neighbors!