REMETTA, STAS, SABO, GALL

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 55 , Oct 13, 2010
      Hi all!

      I've been researching my ancestors for a little over 10 years now and recently my Father commented that we know dates of birth, baptism, marriage, and death but we'd never come to really know what our ancestors were like.

      Stopped me in my tracks. And, got me thinking...I may never know what my great grandparents, George and Suzanna (STAS) REMETTA were like but maybe I can learn what they may have experienced.

      So, if any of you have stories about what life was like in Slovakia (especially during the late 1800s to early 1900s)...what the journey was like to come to America...I would love to hear.

      Suzanna's life seems so hard on paper. Married first in Harhej at age 20, she had two children. Her husband, Janos GALL, dies at age 29 of a heart ailment and the next year her son, Janos, dies of smallpox. She then marries my great grandfather, George REMETTA, and they have more children. When she joined George in America, she did not bring her daughter, Suzanna GALL who would have been 10 at the time. Then, the infant daughter she did bring with her (also named Suzanna) dies of sun or heat stroke in Hazleton, PA! Suzanna GALL does not come to America until 1905 when she was about 17!

      The more I understand what they may have experienced, the more I feel I "know" them!

      Any information or direction to information is appreciated.

      Debra Remetta
    • Pat Donahoo
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 18, 2011
        Hi Martha,

        I think you did an “oops” and sent the following message to me instead of
        Deb. I’m not looking for any of the people mentioned, although I do have a
        Sabo in my family – but not in Pa.

        Kindest regards,

        Dot

        From: Deb
        Date: 11/16/2010 11:27:56 AM
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [S-R] Re: REMETTA, STAS, SABO, GALL

        Thanks, Martha. I'm trying to convince my folks to come with me to Hazleton
        this spring. Thought it might make sense to look at the cemetery associated
        with Sts. Peter and Paul as there are probably numerous Remetta ancestors
        buried there...and might answer some questions! My Dad is the challenge...he
        frequently changes his mind when it comes to the genealogy thing. Go figure.
        He's 78 and sometimes reminds me of Carl Fredricksen in "UP"!!!!! Crunchy
        outside and soft inside!
        Deb

        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Martha Andras" <mandras@> wrote:

        > > Hi Deb,
        > >
        > > Just wanted you to know that I stopped by the church today but no one
        was
        > > there. I also left a message on the voice mail. I'll let you know if I
        get
        > > any response.
        > >
        > > Martha

        December!