Kany

  • jtgen96
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
      Checking the film at the FHL we found a cousin was married to a cantor from Kany in 1905 and another in 1910. We are confused -- is Kany in Slovakia or in Hungary? We supposed that it has assumed many different names over time -- can anyone tell us what these are?

      As always your help is greatly appreciated.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
        The 1995 Slovak Census had no listing for a Kany.
        Falling Rain search engine for places had in Slovakia the village of Kanas and in Hungary the villages of Kanyar and Kanyas.
        Kanas is a village in Eastern Slovakia that is now associated with the town of Velky Saris.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
          I’m not sure what it is you find confusing. Kány is in Hungary, close to its
          border with Slovakia, southwest of Kosice. I don’t see any evidence that it
          had other names. It is mostly Greek Catholic.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
            Good find Janet. Interesting my sources did not have it in them.
            Michael

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
              Hi everyone,

              While we're looking at places, can anyone tell me what "Polyan com.
              Leepus" means? (There's an accent over the a.) It is listed in the
              1877 death records as the first item in the "place" column, so I
              assume that means it is the birthplace. Roskovany is the place of
              death.

              I have checked on shtetlseeker, and there was a Polany, but it was far
              from Roskovany, to the east of Kosice. Fallingrain has a town in
              Slovakia named Polyan (accent over the a). But when I clicked on that
              link, the name changed to Polany (on some links it was written as
              Pol'any), in that same location. There were lots of Polany towns in
              Russia and the Ukraine, but only this one in Slovakia. So I think the
              extra "com. Leepus" may be important in finding the actual current town.

              It's possible that the "p" in Leepus is a different letter, but the
              handwriting seems clear. I believe this is Latin (judging from the
              other records), so I tried to get a translation on one of the online
              translation sites, but it had no suggestions.

              If anyone wants to look at the record, it is on the Family Search
              online records at this URL:
              http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=fs
              %3A1670491&s=waypointsOnly&w=0&p=waypoint

              I can't get to the record if I put in the URL, though....So if you're
              game to take a look, it's in the Rozkovany Roman Catholic records,
              page 31 of the set of records that has 224 pages. It's the 5th death
              record for the year 1877, Andreas Kolarcsik, date: Februari 6. From
              my research, this is my great great grandfather.

              I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

              Elaine
            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
                Hi Elaine,

                It refers to Polyánfalu (also called Polyanócz) in Szepes (“Leepus”) county
                (com.), present-day Polanovce. Capital L and S are very commonly confused
                with one another. The Latin form of Szepes is Scepus, which explains the
                spelling.

                Polyánfalu is very close to the border with Saros megye. You can find it on
                the old map (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg) just to the
                left of the M in VÁRMEGYE. Roman Catholic records are available, but
                unfortunately are not yet digitized, so you will have to order them.

                Janet

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
                  Thanks a million, Janet! Well, I have at least learned to wonder about
                  the archaic handwriting, but I guess there have not been very many
                  capital L's in my other towns' records!

                  And thanks also for giving me a clue for where to find Polyánfalu. I
                  seem to have a lot of "falu" towns in my family

                  Elaine

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
                    >>>Capital L and S are very commonly confused with one another. The Latin form of Szepes is Scepus, which explains the spelling.

                    Good job of connecting the dots, Janet. I have one example of LzepesSzulin in my records in place of SzepesSzulin. At best I could have guessed Leepus as Szepes ... that is why a lot of eyes (yours in this case) on a problem are so good here!

                    Ron

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Elaine,
                    >

                    > It refers to Polyánfalu (also called Polyanócz) in Szepes ("Leepus") county
                    > (com.), present-day Polanovce. Capital L and S are very commonly confused
                    > with one another. The Latin form of Szepes is Scepus, which explains the
                    > spelling.
                    >

                    > Polyánfalu is very close to the border with Saros megye. You can find it on
                    > the old map (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg) just to the
                    > left of the M in VÁRMEGYE. Roman Catholic records are available, but
                    > unfortunately are not yet digitized, so you will have to order them.
                    >

                    > Janet

                  • Margo Smith
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
                      You have a lot of "falu" towns because falu means village.

                      ________________________________
                      Thanks a million, Janet! Well, I have at least learned to wonder about
                      the archaic handwriting, but I guess there have not been very many
                      capital L's in my other towns' records!

                      And thanks also for giving me a clue for where to find Polyánfalu. I
                      seem to have a lot of "falu" towns in my family

                      Elaine

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Oct 12, 2010, at 6:26 PM, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Elaine,
                      >
                      > It refers to Polyánfalu (also called Polyanócz) in Szepes
                      > (“Leepus”) county
                      > (com.), present-day Polanovce. Capital L and S are very commonly
                      > confused
                      > with one another. The Latin form of Szepes is Scepus, which explains
                      > the
                      > spelling.
                      >
                      > Polyánfalu is very close to the border with Saros megye. You can fin
                      > d it on
                      > the old map (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg) just
                      > to the
                      > left of the M in VÁRMEGYE. Roman Catholic records are available, but
                      > unfortunately are not yet digitized, so you will have to order them.
                      >
                      > Janet

                    • Elaine
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 12, 2010
                        Thanks for responding, Margo. I should have thought one more time
                        before hitting "send" because I actually do know that....but it is
                        interesting to think about the "why" behind it. For instance, are
                        there other larger places with the same name minus -falu?

                        Elaine

                        Sent from my iPhone

                      • jtgen96
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 14, 2010
                          I guess this is what I find confusing. When I went to the FHL library catalogue on-line and typed in Kany for the place search I got this:

                          Kanyánka
                          Hungary, Nyitra, Kanyánka
                          Kanyár
                          Hungary, Szabolcs, Kanyár
                          Kány
                          Hungary, Abauj-Torna, Kány
                          Kánya
                          Hungary, Tolna, Kánya
                          Kányavár
                          Hungary, Zala, Kányavár

                          I suppose it is the 3rd entry, but ???

                          I honestly don't know what we would do without your help. All of this is so complicated and we are novices to be sure.

                          Thanks to all of you for your patience.

                          Gwen

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 14, 2010
                            Gwen,
                            The FHL search engine gives all places with Kany in it because people often have so little to go on when doing a search. By listing all of them it gives you all of the potential places.
                            Since your search was for the singular word Kany, on the FHL page it is only the third one that has that spelling. They too list Country, County and Place.
                            The Kany that Janet found south of Kosice in Hungary is the third listing. The units it belongs to are: Country - Hungary, Megye / County - Abauj-Torna, Jaras / District - Cserehati and Szekhely / Seat - Szepsi in 1882.
                            There is just one roll of film - FHL INTL 601621, It is listed under Anyakonyvek 1809 - 1892. Greek Catholic.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
                              Thanks so much.

                              Gwen