Translation help please

  • spoppclark
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
      Can anyone translate some words from the back of a photograph please? I've uploaded a picture (Popp Caption). It's written in pencil and doesn't come through too well. I'm interested in the 3rd through 7th lines.

      My best guess for the writing is this:

      "na pochorni maruly doc 11.4.19?5 a Berezove
      Ne fotografia: 6 docok; ta 4 synov
      strij Mickola Popp
      tuthe: Zofia Bilak rod. Popp"

      Many thanks. Susan
    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
        Not sure, but here's what I see:

        10 children: Vasila Popp, born July 27, 1873, died Jan 12, 1957
        Anna Bilyak, born November 25? or 28?, 1881, died July 9, 1965

        (something about a burial and a daughter) July 11, 1965? in Berezovo?
        On the picture: 6 daughters and 4 sons
        Uncle Mikola Popp
        Aunt Zofia Bil'ak nee Popp

        Sept 21, 1992 - ??? (a surname? can't read it) : 3 daughters Anna, Ilana (Olana), Christina
        1 son Vasil

        Joe

      • spoppclark
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 12, 2010
          Many thanks, Joe!

          Susan

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...> wrote:

          > Not sure, but here's what I see:
          >
          > 10 children: Vasila Popp, born July 27, 1873, died Jan 12, 1957
          > Anna Bilyak, born November 25? or 28?, 1881, died July 9, 1965
          >
          > (something about a burial and a daughter) July 11, 1965? in Berezovo?
          > On the picture: 6 daughters and 4 sons
          > Uncle Mikola Popp
          > Aunt Zofia Bil'ak nee Popp
          >
          > Sept 21, 1992 - ??? (a surname? can't read it) : 3 daughters Anna, Ilana (Olana), Christina
          > 1 son Vasil
          >

          > Joe

        • spoppclark
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
            I have a 1940s diary/journal from the my grandfather kept that I am trying to translate. I understand the general data - parents/ names, birth/death information - but am trying to literally translate it. Would someone mind taking a shot at a page? I've transcribed one below as best I can and uploaded a copy of the original in a folder in the files named "Pereksta Papp Documents" (link at end of message). As to what language this is - I welcome any input. He spoke and wrote in a Rusyn dialect, Hungarian, English and in Cyrillac letters at times.

            Thanks much. Susan

            muj Kánya i mámá

            Ivan Papp radévsá
            u Dráhovi Decembrá 9
            ho 1846 ho raku.

            Umer
            1909 ho decembrá 7 ho ?ˇev 64 rak i 2 an.

            Mámá
            maryá Tegsá radelásá u Berezovi 1857 ho ralku
            umerlá juliyá 6 ho 1920 ho raku zela 63 rohu

            málé gité
            vásily, Iván, Élaná, ancá, Stefán, Máriká,

            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sCCWTX4jDR-sTQeuTtiLefoeUfAX7KbujwF_xZxf0s4EcsqvZpPag16QLi4CT26e2T7l9e8fsF9xNGhAwfCDEWIa8wpILXQ/Pereksta%20Papp%20Documents/PoppStefan%20Diary1.jpg
          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
              It's in a Rusyn/Ukrainian dialect:

              My Nyanya? (means a nanny, but "my" is masculine, could this be a
              dialect word for father or grandfather?) and mama

              Ivan Papp was born
              in Drahov December 9
              the year 1846

              He died
              1909 December 7 (or 1?)
              He lived 64 years and 2 months? (is that "m"?)

              Mama
              Marija Teyza? was born
              in Berezov the year 1857
              she died July 6
              the year 1920
              She lived 63 years

              They? had children
              Vasely, Ivan, Elana, Ania, Stefan, Marika

              Joe

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                Thanks so much Joe! Truly appreciate your help. Not even his kids can agree on an exact translation. Susan

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                  I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

                  "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

                  I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

                  Thanks much for any help!
                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                    Aunt Olena and her little girl Erza.

                    ________________________________
                    I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

                    "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

                    I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

                    Thanks much for any help!

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                      Here is Olena [Ohleh-nah], nickname for Helena [Hehleh-nah], (Helen) and her girl Erza [Ehrr-zhah], (Hungarian for Elizabeth).

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                        Hello,

                        While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
                        Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
                        www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.

                        Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)

                        Vera

                      • William C. Wormuth
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                        • t.salony
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                            Maybe it's not a great idea to be passing on a website that you've never even opened or used, especially since a download is required to use it?

                            TOM

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
                            > Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
                            > www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.
                            >
                            > Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)
                            >
                            > Vera

                          • spoppclark
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                              Thank you, Ben! Now to figure out just who Olena is....

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                                Many thanks, Vilo!