Re: [S-R] Hromos to Breman - How did they get there?

  • takukuk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2010
      My relatives left Spisska Nova Ves by train to Bremen where they sailed to
      the US (Baltimore). I have some German Advertisements for such travel
      that included another train to Chicago for those with that final destination
      (take a look it was 6 Marks more). This was in 1890 so your descendents
      must have had it a little easier.

      Regards, Tom Kukuk

      In a message dated 10/4/2010 5:59:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      lmkennyjr@... writes:

      My great grandmother Kata Hanzelka (name on manifest) immigrated 1902
      September 16 to America.
      She arrived Ellis Island May 6, 1903.

      She travelled alone - age 15. How did she (and others) get to Breman? I
      looked at google maps and with today's roads it is an 11-hour drive or a 9
      day walk. Did they walk? Were there trains?

      Laurie