Hromos to Breman - How did they get there?

  • lmkennyjr
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2010
      My great grandmother Kata Hanzelka (name on manifest) immigrated 1902 September 16 to America.
      She arrived Ellis Island May 6, 1903.

      She travelled alone - age 15. How did she (and others) get to Breman? I looked at google maps and with today's roads it is an 11-hour drive or a 9 day walk. Did they walk? Were there trains?

      Laurie
    • takukuk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2010
        My relatives left Spisska Nova Ves by train to Bremen where they sailed to
        the US (Baltimore). I have some German Advertisements for such travel
        that included another train to Chicago for those with that final destination
        (take a look it was 6 Marks more). This was in 1890 so your descendents
        must have had it a little easier.

        Regards, Tom Kukuk