Handzilko and brother Budja Andras - different last names - why?

  • lmkennyjr
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
      Thanks to this group I found the birth record of my great grandmother.

      Religion RC
      Village Palocsa
      Film #840 page 113/278
      November 25, 1888
      Born Katalin Handzilko (illegitimate)
      Mother Maria Handzilko

      I related the story of her mother worked at the "castle" and the son of the lord got her pregnant.

      Immigrated 1902 September 16 to America.
      She arrived Ellis Island May 6, 1903 under the name Kata Hanzelka.
      Ship name: Konigin Luise
      Port of Departure: Breman
      She was headed to Bridgeport to join her Uncle Pal Hanzelko at 688 Pembroke Street.

      Then underneath was written "brother Bujda Andras"

      My questions:
      Could the name be reverse and should be "Andras Bujda"?
      I assume the brother was older if he was already in the US, but why a different last name?
      I was never told she had a brother, but she died when I was 11. A few older cousins don't know anything about a brother. I thought I'd put the "problem" out to this group. Any ideas?

      Laurie
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
        >>>Immigrated 1902 September 16 to America.
        > She arrived Ellis Island May 6, 1903 under the name Kata Hanzelka.
        > Ship name: Konigin Luise
        > Port of Departure: Breman
        > She was headed to Bridgeport to join her Uncle Pal Hanzelko at 688 Pembroke Street.
        >
        > Then underneath was written "brother Bujda Andras" <<<

        Look again. The name underneath refers to the next passenger, Maria Bujda. Andras is her brother.
      • Alan Antoska
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
          <Then underneath was written "brother Bujda Andras"

          My questions:
          Could the name be reverse and should be "Andras Bujda"?>

          Hungarian name format: - surname first followed by other names.

          Similar european presentations are street name followed by house number.

          cheers

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2010
            Congrats! Spread the word- this is a brilliant bunch!

            Bill