Re: [S-R] Star of David on Catholic grave

    Message 1 of 58 , Oct 4, 2010
      Trying to put this in context of the times.
      What was the year of death, and how old do you estimate the tombstone is?
      (Some stones were placed long after the death. )
      Where was the grave position in the cemetery?
      Was it out of place from the others, or in an organized fashion?
      What religions are buried in this cemetery?
      Where was this cemetery - adjacent to a church? Which faith?
      Did any other stones contain this star?

      What was the name and population of the settlement at that time? Jews
      often, but not always had separate burial grounds. Especially in Catholic
      and Orthodox cemeteries,the grounds were sanctified, to the point that if
      you were not of that religion, you could not be buried there (in "normal"
      times and war does not count.) As you know, unbaptised children are
      buried outside the sanctified grounds. Generalizations are made to be
      broken of course, but they give us a bearing to begin our research with.

      Bill

      On Mon, October 4, 2010 4:17 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
      > Vladi,
      >
      > That is the question that we are trying to find out. This is not a big
      > Star of David that is the major feature of the gravestone. It is a small
      > one.
      > The fact is this is an Orthodox Catholics grave that has this little Star
      > of David on it. Why?

      Bill
    • christopher gajda
      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 19, 2010
        there is a St John the Baptist Orthodox Church at 145 Broad St in Perth Amboy, which is part of the ACROD (American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese)

        You can read that Church's history on their website:  http://sjacrod.com/