Re: [S-R] Family nicknames... again

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 8, 2010
      Debbie,
      Another note on the family "alias" or nickname. From Saris county.
      My grandmother's family had an alias to distinguish one branch of the family from another. It was in use from the mid nineteenth century until the nineteen fifties. They never used it in ordinary speech. In daily life people just used first names. Even when relatives had same first names they referred to "Mary" Andrew's daughter, and Mary Jan's daughter, to distinguish the two, even when they had different last names.

      The "alias" got used only in very formal or legal situations. It appears in birth registers, though not consistently. It appears in land transfer documents (sort of like quit claim deeds, in the Czecho-Slovak republic and a couple of burial records.

      On a recent visit to Slovakia, one cousin there had never heard of her alias until she saw it in a land transfer document after 1990, and asked me if I knew what it meant. When I told her she was suspicious until she confirmed it with some other older relatives.

      Curt B.