Fw: GAMARY/LESTOCK/LESTAK/SLOSARIK

  • karen pivowar
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
      --- On Tue, 9/7/10, karen pivowar <kpivowar@...> wrote:

      From: karen pivowar <kpivowar@...>
      Subject: GAMARY/LESTOCK/LESTAK/SLOSARIK
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@...
      Date: Tuesday, September 7, 2010, 11:52 PM

      I know I asked this over the years;but, with more people joining I just wondered if anybody
      knew the names GAMARY (Gemery), LESTOCK (Lestak), SLOSARIK or HURAJT?

      I think Gamary came from Octina,Slovakia.
      Lestock (Lestak) came from Nizna Slana, Slovakia along with Slosarik.
      I'm not sure where Hurajt came from in Slovakia.
      The families all ended up in Cleveland, Ohio.

      My grandparents rented a farm in Ava, Ohio in 1925.  The naval airship "Shenandoah"
      crashed on my grandprents farm in Ava in 1925.  We just went to the 85th anniversary
      of the crash this weekend.  My grandfather mined until the mines closed.  He tried
      farming.  The Shenandoah wreck and the spectators ruined his crop.  The family
      moved to Cleveland for work.

      Slosariks might still be in Nizna Slana.

      If anyone knows of these names, please let me know.  I would like information about
      Nizna Slana.

      Thank you so much.
      Karen Pivowar
      kpivowar@...

    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2010
        >>> Lestak came from Nizna Slana, Slovakia along with Slosarik.
        I'm not sure where Hurajt came from in Slovakia. <<<

        In 1995, here is the distribution of the HURAJT surname.

        Priezvisko HURAJT sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 245×, celkový počet lokalít: 58, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:

        Å TRBA, okr. POPRAD â€" 32×;
        POPRAD, okr. POPRAD â€" 17×;
        Å ARIÅ SKÉ DRAVCE, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 14×;
        VYSOKÁ, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 14×;
        LIPANY, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 13×;
        NIŽNÝ SLAVKOV, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 13×;
        HUNCOVCE, okr. POPRAD (od r. 1996 KEŽMAROK) â€" 12×;
        SPIÅ SKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIÅ SKÁ NOVÁ VES â€" 11×;
        DUBOVICA, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 10×;
        CÍFER, okr. TRNAVA â€" 8×;

        If there is some connection between the families in Slovakia, then you might want to research Spisska Nova Ves followed by the villages near Poprad.
      • karen pivowar
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 2010
          Thanks John.  I am having luck in the Poprad area.  Thank you for the information.
          I alson recommend that everyone  look up their sir name on facebook.  I did find a lot of
          Hurajt's from Slovakia listed there that I am contacting.  Some speak English.  They are

          From: John <johnqadam@...>
          Subject: [S-R] Re: Fw: GAMARY/LESTOCK/LESTAK/SLOSARIK
          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wednesday, September 8, 2010, 8:56 AM

          >>> Lestak came from Nizna Slana, Slovakia along with Slosarik.
          I'm not sure where Hurajt came from in Slovakia. <<<

          In 1995, here is the distribution of the HURAJT surname.

          Priezvisko HURAJT sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 245×, celkový po�et lokalít: 58, naj�astejšie výskyty v lokalitách:

          Å TRBA, okr. POPRAD â€" 32×;
          POPRAD, okr. POPRAD â€" 17×;
          Å ARIÅ SKÉ DRAVCE, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 14×;
          VYSOKÃ�, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 14×;
          LIPANY, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 13×;
          NIŽNÃ� SLAVKOV, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 13×;
          HUNCOVCE, okr. POPRAD (od r. 1996 KEŽMAROK) â€" 12×;
          SPIÅ SKÃ� NOVÃ� VES, okr. SPIÅ SKÃ� NOVÃ� VES â€" 11×;
          DUBOVICA, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 10×;
          CÃ�FER, okr. TRNAVA â€" 8×;

          If there is some connection between the families in Slovakia, then you might want to research Spisska Nova Ves followed by the villages near Poprad.

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 25, 2010
            Karen,
            My maternal grandfather was a John Huray / Huraj. I noticed when I would do an online search Hurajt would be among the spellings. I have always suspected that they may be two distinctive surnames. Have you had any problem of Huraj being showing up in your Hurajt searches?
            If any of our Slovak members are monitoring this are you aware of any connection these two surnames may have to one another? Or how they are different?
            Michael Mojher

            From: John <johnqadam@...>
            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wednesday, September 8, 2010, 8:56 AM

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2010
              Michael,
              I have just started a lot of internet research on the name Hurajt.  I see a lot of Huraj's showing
              up.  Everybody always had trouble saying my last name.  I wouldn't be surprised if somebody
              changed it!  Then I thought maybe there was a Hungarian spelling and a Slovak spelling.
              On facebook there are a lot of Hurajts and Hurajs.  I started writing to some of the Hurajts on
              Facebook and they all tell me the name is not the same.  The Hurajts I e-mail are from the
              Poprad (High Tatra) region.  (Some of the Hurajs might be from the same region too).

              I had one website bring up Hurak, Huravy, Hurjak, Hurrak, Hurgoi, and Hurigan just to add to
              the confusion.

              I don't think they are the same; however, if I keep running into it I will let you know.
              Thanks.
              Karen Pivowar
              kpivowar@...

              From: John <johnqadam@...>
              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wednesday, September 8, 2010, 8:56 AM

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2010
                Karen,
                In the Slovak 1995 Census the Hurajt name is very localized. There are 245 listing of the name in 58 locations. Below are the top 10 locations. the "okr." is the abbreviation for district or county. You will notice that 8 of the 10 locations are in Poprad and Presov counties. The first name is the village. Lipany is near my ancestral village.
                Priezvisko HURAJT sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 245×, celkový počet lokalít: 58, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                ŠTRBA, okr. POPRAD – 32×;
                POPRAD, okr. POPRAD – 17×;
                ŠARIŠSKÉ DRAVCE, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 14×;
                VYSOKÁ, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 14×;
                LIPANY, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 13×;
                NIŽNÝ SLAVKOV, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 13×;
                HUNCOVCE, okr. POPRAD (od r. 1996 KEŽMAROK) – 12×;
                SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 11×;
                DUBOVICA, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 10×;
                CÍFER, okr. TRNAVA – 8×;

                Whereas for Huraj. 185 listings in 58 locations. #1 Bardejov is due north of Presov. Most of the top 10 are to the west. I know someone from Sucany and she grew up with 6 Huraj families in town. My only long shot is having my grandfather born in Sarisske Michal'any which is near Presov and not a great distance from Bardejov. I could search the records of Bardejov and Resov in hopes of finding them
                Priezvisko HURAJ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 185×, celkový počet lokalít: 58, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 14×;
                TVRDOŠÍN, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) – 10×;
                PARTIZÁNSKE, okr. TOPOĽČANY (od r. 1996 PARTIZÁNSKE) – 9×;
                LEVICE, okr. LEVICE – 8×;
                LIPTOVSKÝ JÁN, okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁŠ – 8×;
                ŠARIŠSKÉ BOHDANOVCE, okr. PREŠOV – 7×;
                REŠOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 6×;
                SUČANY, okr. MARTIN – 6×;
                VRÚTKY, okr. MARTIN – 6×;
                KOŠÚTY (obec MARTIN), okr. MARTIN – 5×;

                From: John <johnqadam@...>
                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wednesday, September 8, 2010, 8:56 AM

                >>> Lestak came from Nizna Slana, Slovakia along with Slosarik.
                I'm not sure where Hurajt came from in Slovakia. <<<

                In 1995, here is the distribution of the HURAJT surname.

                Priezvisko HURAJT sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 245×, celkový po�et lokalít: 58, naj�astejšie výskyty v lokalitách:

                Å TRBA, okr. POPRAD â€" 32×;
                POPRAD, okr. POPRAD â€" 17×;
                Å ARIÅ SKÉ DRAVCE, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 14×;
                VYSOKÃ�, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 14×;
                LIPANY, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 13×;
                NIŽNÃ� SLAVKOV, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 13×;
                HUNCOVCE, okr. POPRAD (od r. 1996 KEŽMAROK) â€" 12×;
                SPIÅ SKÃ� NOVÃ� VES, okr. SPIÅ SKÃ� NOVÃ� VES â€" 11×;
                DUBOVICA, okr. PREÅ OV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) â€" 10×;
                CÃ�FER, okr. TRNAVA â€" 8×;

                If there is some connection between the families in Slovakia, then you might want to research Spisska Nova Ves followed by the villages near Poprad.

              • patskanovo
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4 5:58 AM
                  Karen,

                  I hope you are still out there.I knew I had read the surname Hurajt
                  before (Here) and I recently came across the Hurajt surname associated
                  with my Pilat/Pilot/Pelat family of Cleveland Ohio.

                  There were some indexed records from Cleveland's Probate Court giving
                  Guardianship of Michael Pelat to George Hurajt in 1904. I have bee
                  searching for Michael Pelat for a number of months.

                  Id#: 0158545
                  Name: Hurajt, George
                  Date: March 24, 1923
                  Source: Cemetery record; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #040.
                  Notes: Hurajt-George, father of Thomas Hurajt and Julia Brindza, died
                  Saturday, March 24, at 7:40 p. m. Funeral Monday, at 9 a. m., from St.
                  Ladislaus' church, E. 92d street and Holton avenue. 1856 - 1923. Calvary
                  Cemetery Cleveland, Ohio.

                  Id#: 0554326
                  Name: Hreha, George Joseph
                  Date: Aug 5 1963
                  Source: Plain Dealer; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #119.
                  Notes: Hreha. George Joseph Hreha, beloved husband of Margaret (nee
                  Hurajt), father of George, Jr., Bernard, John, Albert, Theresa Church
                  and Margaret Church, Joseph of Arizona, and Robert, grandfather of 27,
                  brother of Rev. John A. Hreha. Susie Brickrest, Michael and Helen
                  Kochik, Friday, Aug. 2, late residence, 1632 Holmden Ave.
                  Friends received at Frank P. Misencik Funeral Home, 1111 Fairfield Ave.,
                  Monday From 2-10 P. M. Funeral services Tuesday, 8:30 a. m. and at St.
                  Michael Church, 9:30 a. m. Interment Holy Cross Cemetery.