Cause of Death

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hi, someone has been kind enough to help me with my Family Tree. However, we are STUCK on CAUSE OF DEATH and the few other European words. Can someone please help. I would appreciate it. maxine sasala

      The following is for information purposes only.

      I have been putting the finishing touches on a Sasala Work Sheet for the family of Maxine's great-grandfather Elias Sassala (1849-1892) who died at the age of 44. I wondered about Elias' cause of death for it certainly resulted in a terrible family tragedy - Elias left his wife (Susanna Gulyassy) with seven children and unsupported. (Recall that several years later Susanna married Peter Compel and the family eventually came to this country.)

      In the Jakubany Death Register I found the cause of death listed as:

      "eroszakos halak agy sertes/by force bed offence"

      which was not very enlightening.

      Since the online version of the Jakubany Matrika it is limited to the Latin alphabet, understandably it is not able to place diacritic marks in text entries. But the above phrase is in Máygar (ethnic Hungarian) and the absence of a diacritic mark can totally change the meaning of a word - e.g. ágy = "bed" but agy = "brain", sertés = hog/pig/swine while sértés = injury/lesion.

      If I place diacritic marks above only three letters in the Jakubany version, the phase then reads:

      "Eroszakos halák agy sértés"

      and the translation is "Violent death (due to) brain injury". I will use this translation in the Work Sheet.

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2010
        Maxine,
        Can you be more specific in your request? It seems to me you have received a pretty elegant translation of the words listed under cause of death. Violent death, brain injury. If there is nothing more, then there is nothing more. It does not say anything further about the cause, whether by some accident, purposeful assault, or even barroom brawl. The registers were filled out by priests and not by modern medical doctors, so frequently you get even much less than this. Some have things like "lung problems" "dropsy" [general edema] which are pretty meaningless medical terms.

        Can you post a photo of the actual register and the words that are a problem?

        Curt B.