Re: [S-R] Accuracy of names in records - Dolak

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 103 , Sep 3, 2010
      Thanks much, Curt.  I was just looking at the records for them.  I noticed a
      different spelling for Siroke as "Serake" Austria Hungary. I have seen Siroke
      spelled as Siroka, but not this way before. I don't know why all of a sudden I
      find myself thinking about Wallace Steven's poem, "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a
      Blackbird":)

      Message 103 of 103 , Sep 10, 2010
        Yes, I have checked out Turciansky Michal (Szent-Mihaly). That’s where a few of my entries came from.

        I also have checked the nobility lists for Turocz—not there.

        The only nobility information I have found is the ennoblement of a Kozla family in 1633, published in Torna megye in 1643 (Kempelen). But of course there is no proof that this is the same family. Since there is no village location given for “Torna” it would be a lot of work to examine all of the villages, though I suppose it could be done. Even then, could they be identified as being related to anyone in Turocz at a later time? It is the same problem with relating those from Turocz with those from Nograd.

        The family was Lutheran, which is why I pretty much focused on Ivancina. However, last week I took a look at all of the records from churches in the county, of which there are 11 Lutheran and 23 Roman Catholic. The records for only two of the Lutheran churches extend prior to 1780 (death of Maria Teresia). These are Neczpal (to 1690) and Ivancina/Ivankafalu (to 1715). Neczpal was in the northern district (Turoczszentmarton) and only Ivankafalu was in the southern (Stubnyafurdo/Mosocz-Zniovaralja). However, of the 18 Roman Catholic churches whose records date back to the 1600s or early 1700s, eight of them are in the southern district: Felso-Stubnya (from 1737), Haj (from 1674), Kis-Szoczocz (from 1690), Mosocz (from 1733), Szent-Gyorgy (from 1672), Szent-Mihaly (from 1690), Szkleno (from 1737), Tot-Prona (from 1730) and Znio-Varalja (from 1653). This is at least a workable number, and I’ve already looked at Szent-Mihaly.

        Good reasons for examining Roman Catholic records are twofold: One, they may in fact have been Roman Catholic at an earlier time. Two, I have seen at least one case where although the films are purportedly Roman Catholic, 90% of the early entries were for German Lutherans.

        Although this thread may have shed little light on my initial questions, I thank you who have responded for encouraging me to give yet another look to this area, to organize what material I have, and to suggest another avenue of research.

        Janet