Slovak-English Dictionaries

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010
      I asked a relative, a Slovak national, what she would recommend for online
      dictionaries.
      She provided the following list, with the disclaimer that each of them has
      limitations. These are NOT grammar dictionaries, and she again implores
      people not to use online translation services to write letters.

      I have shorted the URLs with TinyURL so that they will come across clearly
      on emails, which have a tendency to break apart long addresses.

      Translate.eu:
      http://tinyurl.com/2vudkd9

      Institute of Applied Informatics, Bratislava:
      http://tinyurl.com/ptz3sh

      Bilingual Dictionary from ECTACO
      http://tinyurl.com/2wfp255

      LingvoSoftOnline
      http://tinyurl.com/3x2afae

      Regards,
      Bill
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010
        For paper dictionaries, the Summer Language Institute students (2 advanced, 3 intermediate and 2 beginners) were all using Lingea products. The profesorka took a look at my 1968 and 1991 dictionaries and recommended that I leave them at home and buy some modern dictionaries. http://www.lingea.sk/produkty.asp shows the full variety of their offerings.

        I skipped the super serious, super big Velky slovnĂ­k (line 9, 1st pictured at Euro 42.82) and bought the smaller (but still large when packing a backpack!) Prakticky Slovnik (line 10, at Euro 19.58). This one was in use by most all of the students and is quite nice. For portability I considered and bought the one I use the most, the handy sized anglictina konverzacia (last line, Euro 5.90). This is the one I use the most away from my desk work. As small as the dictionary part is, it seems to have most all of the everyday street words I run across and look up. I find it a very handy pocket size.
        Finally, (we had 4 weeks in the course in Slovakia & time to haunt the book stores) I ran across their vreckovy slovnic (last line, euro 8.27) combined with the electronic CD easy lex 2 anglictina 40 000 hesiel (line Euro 9.90) on a combined deal, so I bought it.

        Some of the students were wondering how the electronic word recognition would work (pass the cursor over a word to have the meaning pop up on screen), and I was going to experiment, but my netbook has to be hooked up to a CD reader to load it... so the experiment is delayed. The vrecovy (pocket) dictionary is less impressive than the big one I have, but it is portable while the big dictionary is part of that 5 kg of books I sent ahead on my travels.

        That is a long writeup to recommend three books, but it covers modern dictionaries we chose in Slovakia this summer. I hope this helps one of you out there!

        Ron