Surname question Mrena/Mrenova

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2010
      On my recent trip to Zavar, I was fortunate enough to find the grave for my gr.grandfather, Jozef Mrena. Upon the gravestone is engraved his wife's name Jozefina Mrenova (she died first) then his name below, Jozef Mrena. The church records, which I have only recently discovered, show the name Mrenna for this family in every single entry. I do not know who decided to drop the extra "n". Here in the United States, my grandfather spelled the name Mrenna.
      On a gravestone directly behind this one, I found Rodina Mrenova.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4636341945/in/set-72157624131547596/
      You will see Vojtech at the bottom, born in 1888, and his wife Ernestina.
      Vojtech would be Jozef's brother. I am curious as to why the headstone is not Rodina Mrena?
      I do understand that the ova is the female version of the name, so I am confused as to why that is inscribed on the stone rather than Rodina Mrena.
      Can someone explain this to me?
      Does this mean that family in that town would now be known as Mrenova and not Mrena?
      Thanks!
      Barbara
    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2010
        The word rodina, meaning family, is a feminine noun.  Therefore the modifier,
        Mrena, has to be presented in the feminine form also, Mrenova.