Adopted name?

  • tomfgurka
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
      Since my grandmother's family was Austrain, and spoke and wrote
      German, (There are letters to prove it), But they had a SLAVIK name, Is
      it possible that somewhere they may have given themselves the Slavik name,
      to blend in??

      Has anyone heard of this being done?

      Tom

    • M Jenner
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
        My great grandparents would put they were from Austria on the US census because
        Slovakia was Austria-Hungary at the time they lived there. They were 100%
        Slovak. They could speak German though. When they came to the US there was no
        Slovak Catholic School so my grandmother went to the German Catholic school. She
        spoke Slovak at home, German at school and English on the street.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
          Hi Tom, I am sure they were SLAVIC! Slaves lived in what was called Austria and some lived near the German sections! maxine sasala

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
            No Maxine, they were NOT SLAVES. They were prosperous, had a large farm,
            with many servants and field hands.

            Maybe some may have had that situation, but not this family. It's a
            mystery. Tom

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
              I wonder if Maxine meant to write "Slavs" and not "Slaves"...??

              Debbie

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tomfgurka" <tomfgurka@...> wrote:

              > No Maxine, they were NOT SLAVES. They were prosperous, had a large farm,
              > with many servants and field hands.
              >
              > Maybe some may have had that situation, but not this family. It's a
              > mystery. Tom
              >

              > _____

            • martha.andras
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29, 2010
                Yes - looking at the context of Maxine's post, I'm sure she meant Slavs.

                Martha

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                > I wonder if Maxine meant to write "Slavs" and not "Slaves"...??
                >
                > Debbie
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tomfgurka" <tomfgurka@> wrote:
                > >
                > > No Maxine, they were NOT SLAVES. They were prosperous, had a large farm,
                > > with many servants and field hands.
                > >
                > > Maybe some may have had that situation, but not this family. It's a
                > > mystery. Tom
                > >

                > > _____

              • Nancy Hayes
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
                  That's what I thought, too, when I read Maxine's email. Just a typo.

                  Nancy

                  , "tomfgurka" <tomfgurka@...> wrote:

                  > No Maxine, they were NOT SLAVES. They were prosperous, had a large farm,
                  > with many servants and field hands.
                  >
                  > Maybe some may have had that situation, but not this family. It's a
                  > mystery. Tom
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  ] On

                • hmsbob@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
                    she might have meant SLAVS not slaves

                  • maxine
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 31, 2010
                      Hi, my computer has been down! I did mean SLAVS not slaves. Thank you all for being smart enough to correct this. Tom, I am sorry for the
                      typo. maxine