RE: [S-R] Re: Help in Locating Drabhocz, Hungary - Thank You All!

  • Elliott Nowacky
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2010
      Janet and John, thank you both for the very informative information. You both along with several others this week have gone way beyond the "call of genealogy" to assist me in my search. I ordered the microfilm which should have Jozef Mokos individual birth/baptismal record yesterday evening. Looking very forward to getting it in a few weeks time. All the Best - Elliott

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      From: kozlay@...
      Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:03:26 -0700
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Re: Help in Locating Drabhocz, Hungary - Thank You All!

      Elliott,

      Josef immigrated on December 11, 1906, aboard the Rhein. You can find him on
      the Ellis Island site under the spelling Jozsef Makos, listed as coming from
      "Jako," and on the Ancestry.com site under the spelling Josef Mokos.
      According to this record, he was born in Drahocz--Bingo. His destination, in
      Pennsyslvania, looks like Emporium.

      Jalsove's Hungarian name was Jals�.

      You can locate this area on the old map of Nyitra county at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg. Drah�cz is the large town
      in the pink section in Postyen district, right on the Vag river. You can see
      both Jals� and Szokol�cz on the other side of the river, in Galgocz
      district.

      According to the databases at www.arcanum.hu/mol, the Mokos name appears in
      Nyitra county as early as 1515. There are also three taxpayers by that name
      in the 1715 census in Nyitra, though none of them close to where you are
      searching. But since only taxpayers (owners of land) are listed, there may
      have been members of the family that early who did not own land.

      More pertinent to your immediate family may be the records for Stephen
      (Istvan) Mokos, born about 1886, who immigrated in 1910 with his wife
      Magdalena to his cousin Josef in Cleveland. He was from "Yalso," one of
      several apparent misspellings of Jals�. His World War I registration gives
      his actual birthdate as September 14, 1888, in "Jazo." His World War II
      registration gives August 14, 1888, in "Gulsov." He was living in New Jersey
      (Paterson and Passaic) at the time of these registrations.

      Also likely related is "Frank Joseph" Mokos, born June 16, 1892, in
      "Jolshove." At the time of his World War II registration he was living with
      his wife Angelina in Lakewood OH.

      Janet

      From: mgmojher@...
      Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:53:38 -0700
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Help in Locating Drabhocz, Hungary

      Possibly this:
      Drahovce PN/TA nitr. po 1863 pricl. o. Voderady.
      1773 Drahocz, Drachowetz, Drahowcze, 1786 Drahocz, 1808 Drah�cz, Drahowce,
      1863-1907 Drah�c, 1913 V�gdebrod, 1920- Drahovce

      The Census had no Drabhocz, but offered the above as an alternative. It also
      across the river from Jalsove.