Re: [S-R] Carnegie Award for Heroism

  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
      Thanks. These are great links. I am a coalminer's great-great-granddaughter and
      I'm fascinated with coal mining and coalminers....
      My great-great-grandfather, Robert Drysdale emigrated from Scotland and worked
      in coal mines in Bradford & Tioga Counties in PA; mostly on Barclay Mountain
      near Towanda. He "died from a shock in the mine."
      It wasn't only Slovaks and Eastern Europeans who ended up in the mines.....I
      think they were preceded by the British, Scots & Irish, etc.
      My Slovak grandfather was more fortunate and was able to work on the Nickel
      Plate Railroad....

      Ancestral Slovak surnames: Pruzinsky, Lincsa, Sekelsky, Parana, et al.
      Ancestral Slovak village: Plavnica