Mokos's in Jelsovce, SK ?? - Request for Assistance

  • zhivago928
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
      Greetings to all, I'm trying to determine if any Mokos's may have lived or are still living in the village of Jelsovce just north of Nitra. I know from a few of you who have helped me in the past that there is a site where I can search the 1995 Slovakia Census but I do not know where to go to find this database. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you. - Elliott
    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
        >>> there is a site where I can search the 1995 Slovakia Census but I do not know where to go to find this database. <<<

        http://slovniky.juls.savba.sk/
      • John
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
          >>> I'm trying to determine if any Mokos's may have lived or are still living in the village of Jelsovce just north of Nitra. <<<

          Here's teh answer.
          JALÅ OVÉ, okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 HLOHOVEC) â€" 15×;
        • John
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
            >>> I'm trying to determine if any Mokos's may have lived or are still living in the village of Jelsovce just north of Nitra. <<<

            Four listings for Mokos(ova) in current Slovak phone listings for JALSOVE.
          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
              >>> I'm trying to determine if any Mokos's may have lived or are still living in the village of Jelsovce just north of Nitra. <<<

              Two Mokos listings on Skype for Jalsove.
            • Elliott Nowacky
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
                Hi John and thanks for the quick feedback to my query.

                The reason I'm asking about Jelsovce vs Jalsove is because I found the WWI Draft registration card today for someone who may be my great Uncle (Frank Mokos) and he listed his place of birth as Nitra. I've looked at the entire LDS FHC Microfilm from Jalsove and have found someone who may be Frank Mokos as his birthdate matches to within 7 days of his date of birth on his SSDI and Obit. I looked around the town of Nitra and saw the small village of Jelsovce and thought that this may be where he came from instead of Jalsove. Hence my request for assistance. It may just be that when he filled out the draft registration card he simply gave them the town Nitra as it is short and easy to spell etc. when in fact he came from Jalsove.

                The bigger problem I'm having is that I have been unable to positively determine where my mother's father, Joseph Mokos (1888-1941), came from. There is no record of Joseph Mokos in the Jalsove microfilm. Also no record of him in the nearby town of Drahovce which is where my mother's mother (Veronika Orisek) came from. I do know that he came to the USA in 1906 (acccording to the 1910 US Census); registered for the Draft in 1917 (according to his draft registration card) and was living in Wheeling, WV from at least 1917 to 1941 when he died. Unfortunately, he never gave a specific town/village name where he came from on the 1910, 1920 and 1930 Census' or on his WWI Draft registration card. His death certificate, which I have, also does not provide any helpful info.

                There are some Joseph Mokos' on the ellisisland.org site but thier dates of birth and or arrival to the US do not match the Joseph Mokos I'm looking for. I'm at my wits end on where to turn to next other than to look at the Jelsovce microfilm which may just be a wild goose chase. I may just have to systematically go through all of the microfilms of all of the places in Slovakia where Mokos' still reside to ultimately find the record I'm looking for but that is going to take me a long time.

                If you have any suggestions on how I might proceed in this interesting detective story I'd appreciate it very much.

                Elliott

                VAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                From: johnqadam@...
                Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:44:08 +0000
                Subject: [S-R] Re: Mokos's in Jelsovce, SK ?? - Request for Assistance

                >>> I'm trying to determine if any Mokos's may have lived or are still living in the village of Jelsovce just north of Nitra. <<<

                Here's teh answer.
                JAL� OV��, okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 HLOHOVEC) ��" 15��;

              • John
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
                  >>> The bigger problem I'm having is that I have been unable to positively determine where my mother's father, Joseph Mokos (1888-1941), came from. . . . I'm at my wits end on where to turn to next other than to look at the Jelsovce microfilm which may just be a wild goose chase. . . . If you have any suggestions on how I might proceed in this interesting detective story I'd appreciate it very much. <<<

                  Where were they married? Europe or USA? In Slovakia, the marriage record would likely be in the wife's village. Children would likely be in the husband's village records.
                • Elliott Nowacky
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
                    Hi John, We do not know where they were married. I've cataloged all marriages in Drahovce where Veronika Orisek, Joe's wife was born. No record of the marriage. All of their children were born in the US beginning in 1912 so there would be no record of children in the church records in Slovakia. The first child was born in Emporium, PA. Her name was Virginia. I'm going to order her birth certificate from the state of PA; perhaps Joe's specific town/village of birth is listed on the birth certificate.

                    Elliott

                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                    From: johnqadam@...
                    Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:08:10 +0000
                    Subject: [S-R] Re: Mokos's in Jelsovce, SK ?? - Request for Assistance - Thanks

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
                      >>> I've looked at the entire LDS FHC Microfilm from Jalsove and have found someone who may be Frank Mokos as his birthdate matches to within 7 days of his date of birth on his SSDI and Obit. . . . The bigger problem I'm having is that I have been unable to positively determine where my mother's father, Joseph Mokos (1888-1941), came from. There is no record of Joseph Mokos in the Jalsove microfilm. Also no record of him in the nearby town of Drahovce which is where my mother's mother (Veronika Orisek) came from. <<<

                      There is no film listed for Jalsove church records on the LDS web site. What film number were you researching?

                      Drahovce is just across the canal and the Vah River but there may not have been a river crossing. There is nothing to suggest a crossing on the 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg

                      Though the 1869 Hungarian Census pre-dates what you KNOW, it would tell you who lived in the village in 1869 and that film IS available.

                      1869 Hungarian Census
                      Jalsó (Jelšová) Film #2189401 Item 3
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
                        >>> The bigger problem I'm having is that I have been unable to positively determine where my mother's father, Joseph Mokos (1888-1941), came from <<<

                        Ok, we have Josephs's father born abt 1868, maybe earlier. Maybe in a very small village, for which the 1869 census IS available. Odds are that his father's name was Jozef Mokos if his son was the eldest of the children.

                        If you locate that census entry, you will have the names of his parents and possibly siblings that had been born by 1869. Maybe some old folks lived in the same house.

                        It's worth a shot. You have the film number.
                      • Elliott Nowacky
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
                          Hi John, you are correct that there is no specific film for Jalsove. Jalsove is associated with the town/village Sokolovce just to the north of Jalsove. Another member here on SLOVAK-ROOTS pointed me to this film back in June. The film number is: 2420851. I also have 2420850 which covers the same two villages but with earlier dates.

                          Thanks for the tip on the 1869 Census film. I'll order it tomorrow when I go back to the FHC to continue my research.

                          Elliott

                          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                          From: johnqadam@...
                          Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:49:34 +0000

                          >>> I've looked at the entire LDS FHC Microfilm from Jalsove and have found someone who may be Frank Mokos as his birthdate matches to within 7 days of his date of birth on his SSDI and Obit. . . . The bigger problem I'm having is that I have been unable to positively determine where my mother's father, Joseph Mokos (1888-1941), came from. There is no record of Joseph Mokos in the Jalsove microfilm. Also no record of him in the nearby town of Drahovce which is where my mother's mother (Veronika Orisek) came from. <<<

                          There is no film listed for Jalsove church records on the LDS web site. What film number were you researching?

                          Drahovce is just across the canal and the Vah River but there may not have been a river crossing. There is nothing to suggest a crossing on the 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg

                          Though the 1869 Hungarian Census pre-dates what you KNOW, it would tell you who lived in the village in 1869 and that film IS available.

                          1869 Hungarian Census
                          Jals�� (Jel��ov��) Film #2189401 Item 3

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
                            John,
                            I looked in the 1995 Slovak Census under Mokos. Jalsove had 15 of them. Of equally interest to you is just up river on the north side of Piestany in the village of Velke Orviste another 11 lived. So that not that far away from each other were two villages with a goodly number of Mokos. By the way, the Slovak spelling is with a "v" above the "s". This does matter in Slovakia.