Carnegie Award for Heroism

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2010
      Once in awhile you get lucky. I found this little gem going down my
      list of names seeing if any obits would pop up in keyword searches.

      John Haluska was my Great-grandfathers' brothers 3rd.child.

      Although the article is about another fellow,it works for me.
      http://www.carnegiehero.org/

      EDWARD EUGENE CAREY
      Lost Creek, Pennsylvania

      Edward Eugene Carey, 42, coal inspector, died attempting to rescue John Haluska, 33, truck driver, from a cave-in at a culm bank, Girardville, Pennsylvania, March 12, 1946. When rocks, coal, and clay for eight feet from the top of a culm bank 60 feet high began to roll and slide down, Haluska was caught and buried upright to his waist. Carey and three other men ran to Haluska and with their hands removed the culm from around him, freeing him except for one foot. As Carey sat on his haunches continuing his efforts, he shouted a warning to the other men that a second slide had started, and they ran clear of the slide area. Carey worked to free Haluska for a second or two longer and then started to follow the others. After taking a step or two, the slide reached him; and he fell. Carey and Haluska were buried under culm five feet deep. Both were dead when removed three hours later. 40639-3473

      Dennis
    • J.B. Bulharowski
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 17, 2010
        Dennis:

        Those mines were more than deadly. Things happened far too quickly. My
        husband's grandfather died in a collapse in a coal mine in St. Clair, PA., which
        is quite close to Giraridville. When they found him he was standing upright
        with his pick still held over his shoulder ready to bring it down. Never had a
        chance.
        J.B.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 17, 2010
          Wow, what a terrible tragedy! My uncle worked in the Illinois coal mines and died from black lung disease. The mines weren’t a good place to be at all for anyone.

          Nancy

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
            I can not believe I found this article! Best part about it is that I
            found his children still living in Girardville.......

            They know there are plenty of Haluska's still living there but do not
            know of their relationships.

            Some old Family pics are on the way they say......

            I love Facebook!

            Dennis

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Hayes" <viewcards@...>
            wrote:

            > Wow, what a terrible tragedy! My uncle worked in the Illinois coal
            mines and died from black lung disease. The mines weren’t a good
            place to be at all for anyone.

            > Nancy

          • J.B. Bulharowski
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
              Nancy:

              Didn't even mention that my father also died of black lung. My maternal
              grandfather nearly lost his leg due to a roof collapse in the mines. As I said
              those mines and mining are deadly.

              JB

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
                My dad worked in an iron ore mine in Pioche, Nevada for only two months back in the late 1940’s or very early 1950’s; he said they went down into the earth in a big bucket around 800 feet or more; mining work and life didn’t appeal to him at all as he was somewhat claustrophobic.

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
                  Hi Everyone,
                     It's Been a while since I've written anything. My Grandfather was a miner in Herminie PA around 1917. Anyone interested should check out David Kuchtas web site on PA mines. Very Interesting.

                  John Mitricska

                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
                    John can you post the link to that website?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
                      Here are some links to PA mine history

                      www.tccweb.org/penncoal.htm

                      no9mine.tripod.com/id2.html

                    • Gloria
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
                        Thank you for the web links for the great stories about the Pa.mines and what the miners endured.

                        My husband's father immigrated from Novy Smolnik,SK and began working in the Pa. mines
                        in about 1921.

                        I have searched several web pages for lists of the miners but cannot find any lists for the mines
                        in the Portage,Pa, Beaverdale,Pa. area. Do you know of any way to locate the lists of miners that worked
                        in Portage around 1921 to 1928 ?

                        Thanks,Gloria

                        Researching
                        Koribanic,Peter
                        Koribanics
                        Kuribanic
                        Kurbanick

                      • JOHN MITRICSKA
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
                          I would try the Carnegie Library. They seem to have a lot of stuff from yhe old mines and steel mills.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
                             I have been reading all of the input on the mines that were worked by
                            the Slovak immigrants and had to add my two-cents worth.

                             It was just not the miners that got a direct impact from the mines. My
                            grandmother ran a boarding-house for miners from the Carnegie mines
                            in Braddock, PA. She was told by a doctor that she needed to get out
                            of the area, as she was developing "black-lung" from direct contact with
                            the miners' bedding and clothes that she laundered. Grandfather died
                            and grandmother stayed on another two years and finally moved on to
                            MN and farm-land where she was in the clean-air. They had saved most
                            of the money saved by running the boarding-house and not having to pay
                            rent. She purchased a small house with a few acres of land and worked
                            as a house-keeper for business-families in MN.

                             She had breathing problems until the day she died in 1970. She had
                            immigrated here in 1913 and was a victim of the mines, as we her
                            husband. My oldest aunt bore a grudge against the Carnegie empire
                            until she died in 1997.

                            Tom Hritz ( Hricz)
                            GA

                            From: Gloria <glokurb@...>

                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 6:09 PM

                            Thank you for the web links for the great stories about the Pa.mines and what the miners endured.

                            My husband's father immigrated from Novy Smolnik,SK and began working in the Pa. mines

                            in about 1921.

                            I have searched several web pages for lists of the miners but cannot find any lists for the mines

                            in the Portage,Pa, Beaverdale,Pa. area. Do you know of any way to locate the lists of miners that worked

                            in Portage around 1921 to 1928 ?

                            Thanks,Gloria

                            Researching

                            Koribanic,Peter

                            Koribanics

                            Kuribanic

                            Kurbanick

                          • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 18, 2010
                              Thanks. These are great links. I am a coalminer's great-great-granddaughter and
                              I'm fascinated with coal mining and coalminers....
                              My great-great-grandfather, Robert Drysdale emigrated from Scotland and worked
                              in coal mines in Bradford & Tioga Counties in PA; mostly on Barclay Mountain
                              near Towanda. He "died from a shock in the mine."
                              It wasn't only Slovaks and Eastern Europeans who ended up in the mines.....I
                              think they were preceded by the British, Scots & Irish, etc.
                              My Slovak grandfather was more fortunate and was able to work on the Nickel
                              Plate Railroad....

                              Ancestral Slovak surnames: Pruzinsky, Lincsa, Sekelsky, Parana, et al.
                              Ancestral Slovak village: Plavnica