Re: [S-R] Digest Number 3594

  • Marjorie Dennin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12 7:12 AM
      Hi,

      Thanks for your reply.

      Michael Bless and family all self-identify as Slovak-speaking and Roman
      Catholic.

      Michael Bless and brother John (Janos) and the rest of the family clustered
      around the Bronx and Yonkers, later moving northward into areas of
      Westchester County, NY. Initially, on arrival, they attended Most Holy
      Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Yonkers, NY and the Roman Catholic Church
      of St. John, Knightsbridge, Bronx, NY. Most Holy Trinity was largely, if
      not entirely, attended by Slovak immigrants, who at the time (1885-1900) of
      course all identified themselves as being from "Austria-Hungary." The book,
      "Slovaks on the Hudson" identified most of the early church members of Most
      Holy Trinity in Yonkers as being from Kosice and Spis. But the author later
      qualifies this somewhat, based on later records from the 1920s and 1930s
      that did not seem to show that pattern or origin for that later period.