RE: [S-R] Help with Latin names from Jalso near Piestany-Drahovce

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
      Ludovius (usually seen as Ludovicus) = Louis

      Jsidorus/Isidorus = Isidore (today rarely seen except in Jewish names)

      Vindelinius = Wendel (as in Oliver Wendell Holmes)

      Keep in mind also that immigrants could (and often did) change their name to
      anything they pleased. For example, most men named Ludovicus would become
      Louis in America, but there was no law that dictated this.

      Janet

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
        Dorian is also from the name Isadore.
        There was a Saint Wendelin [German]. I have a second great uncle Vendelin...v and w being interchangable.
        Larry

        From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On

        Behalf Of zhivago928

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
          St Vendelin is the patron saint of animals in Slovakia - i am assuming farm
          animals.

          helene