Re: [S-R] Help with Latin names from Jalso near Piestany-Drahovce

  • n8de@thepoint.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10 11:26 AM
      Look below
      Don Havlicek

      Quoting zhivago928 <ecnowacky@...>:

      > Greetings to all. This morning I went through a microfilm at our
      > local and was able to identify several potential relatives from my
      > mother's father's side. The family name is Mokos and we believe that
      > they came from Jalso, a small village near Piestany and Drahovce. I
      > came across three male surnames that I have no idea how they would
      > potentially translate into English. There three surnames are:
      >
      > Ludovius = Ludovit
      > Jsidorus = Isidor
      > Vindelinius = Wendel Weldelin
      >
      > Can anyone tell me how these names would translate into English? Any
      > assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
      >
      > Elliott Nowacky

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10 12:18 PM
        Ludovius (usually seen as Ludovicus) = Louis

        Jsidorus/Isidorus = Isidore (today rarely seen except in Jewish names)

        Vindelinius = Wendel (as in Oliver Wendell Holmes)

        Keep in mind also that immigrants could (and often did) change their name to
        anything they pleased. For example, most men named Ludovicus would become
        Louis in America, but there was no law that dictated this.

        Janet

        Greetings to all. This morning I went through a microfilm at our local and
        was able to identify several potential relatives from my mother's father's
        side. The family name is Mokos and we believe that they came from Jalso, a
        small village near Piestany and Drahovce. I came across three male surnames
        that I have no idea how they would potentially translate into English. There
        three surnames are:

        Ludovius
        Jsidorus
        Vindelinius

      • lkocik@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10 12:34 PM
          Dorian is also from the name Isadore.
          There was a Saint Wendelin [German]. I have a second great uncle Vendelin...v and w being interchangable.
          Larry

          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On

          Behalf Of zhivago928

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10 5:09 PM
            St Vendelin is the patron saint of animals in Slovakia - i am assuming farm
            animals.

            helene