RE: [S-R] Mystery in Kurimka

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 10 8:48 AM
      Yes, I've often run across a deceased child's name being reused by a subsequent sibling, though it might seem strange to us today. I'd expect that superstition would forbid it (lest the same thing happen to the new child), but it seems honoring a family member by passing on the name was more important.

      Joe

    • mkoschik@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 13 9:25 PM
        I had just one sister, but our parents solved the issue quite simply -- they named her Mary Ann.

        From: Nancy Hayes <viewcards@...>
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, August 13, 2010, 4:37 PM

        My Aunt Mary was born Maria in Hungary; my Aunt Annie was born Anna in the USA.

        Nancy