Re: SLOVAKIA FOLK CULTURE

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
      The reference URL to the first installment was stripped from my first posting

      I did't get down far enough in the chain of postings to see that CurtB had already mentioned the serialization.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

      > Michael & all,
      >
      > The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.
      >
      > Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.
      >
      > So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.
      >
      > Rn

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Members,
      > > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
      > > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
      > > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
      > > Here are the chapters:
      > > Traditional Agrarian Culture
      > > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
      > > Folk Trade
      > > Food and Eating
      > > Clothes and Footwear
      > > Settlements and Dwelling Place
      > > Community of Village and Family
      > > Calendar Customs
      > > Family Customs
      > > Folk Theatre
      > > Folk Art
      > > Folk Narrative
      > > Folk Songs
      > > Folk Dance
      > > Folk Music

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 8, 2010
        hi Ron and All -

        Thought i saw copies of this book at the super book store in Kosice on the side
        street leading from St. Elizabeth's.

        helene