Re: [S-R] SLOVAKIA FOLK CULTURE

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
      I would love to receive a copy, Curt. Thanks!

      Elaine

      Epowell@...

      Sent from my iPhone

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
        Michael & all,

        The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.

        Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.

        So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.

        Rn

        > Dear Members,
        > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
        > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
        > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
        > Here are the chapters:
        > Traditional Agrarian Culture
        > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
        > Folk Trade
        > Food and Eating
        > Clothes and Footwear
        > Settlements and Dwelling Place
        > Community of Village and Family
        > Calendar Customs
        > Family Customs
        > Folk Theatre
        > Folk Art
        > Folk Narrative
        > Folk Songs
        > Folk Dance
        > Folk Music

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
          The reference URL to the first installment was stripped from my first posting

          I did't get down far enough in the chain of postings to see that CurtB had already mentioned the serialization.

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

          > Michael & all,
          >
          > The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.
          >
          > Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.
          >
          > So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.
          >
          > Rn

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Members,
          > > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
          > > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
          > > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
          > > Here are the chapters:
          > > Traditional Agrarian Culture
          > > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
          > > Folk Trade
          > > Food and Eating
          > > Clothes and Footwear
          > > Settlements and Dwelling Place
          > > Community of Village and Family
          > > Calendar Customs
          > > Family Customs
          > > Folk Theatre
          > > Folk Art
          > > Folk Narrative
          > > Folk Songs
          > > Folk Dance
          > > Folk Music

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 8, 2010
            hi Ron and All -

            Thought i saw copies of this book at the super book store in Kosice on the side
            street leading from St. Elizabeth's.

            helene