Re: [S-R] Amalia Gurkova

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2010
      Tom,
      Thanks for your history. A fascinating story. Especially when you can follow it into modern times, 1940.
      It would seem with the amount of information that you have it would be possible to find out much more. If those times are anything like the present, there are very few newspapers in Slovakia. So don't expect them to be a source. I know that villages usually have a "Chronicle" where they write down major events that happen there. I would think that the murdering of the Gurko family would qualify. The confiscation during WW I is somewhat interesting. This was the era of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Hungary was in total control of its own lands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Austria_Hungary_ethnic.svg is a map of the ethnic groups in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. When you look at Slovakia you will see a large German area that covers much of Spis county. The Russians Eastern Front never made it into Hungary so they would have not been the murderers of your family. And the Western Front was not even into Germany by much. It seems that the murderers must have been "local". Do you have the year of this tragedy?
      Collectivization began in Czechoslovakia in 1949 as part of the first "Five-Year Plan". I would investigate any census before then to see what your family holdings were.
      Since there was a sign that said "Here stood the Gurko House", one would think that it was of importance and there should be some thing written about it.
      I think that you might consider using a more permanent / local genealogist to do some investigating for you. In the course of my six trips to Slovakia I found going to the village and talking with the people provided information that cannot be found in the Archives.
      The 1995 Slovak Census had only one listing for Gurko. The online telephone directory had none. But there were 7 listing for Gurkova, which should be the female form of the name. The of which were in the village of Chmel'nica, across the river from Stara Lubovna. My ancestral village is about 8 miles from Chmel'nica. And Spisska Nova Ves on the other side of the mountains to the south. It appears that your Gurko family may no longer exist. Do you have any verification that it still does?
      Michael

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2010
        Thanks Mike, I agree, perhaps they no longer exist. No, I can't
        afford a genealogist.

        And my friend in Spisska Nova Ves contacted the two Gurka families
        there, with no success. Also I wrote letters to Pasztoreks in surrounding
        villages, in Slovak, and one of them had his daughter E-mail me.

        One more happy thought. When Ruzena Gurkova died later in Kosice, Anna,
        in Brezovica, and other older people there, drove all the way down there for
        her funeral. She must have been well loved.

        Anyway, I've had five years of fun, and learned a lot of history along
        the way.

        Who knows, maybe someday I'll receive a surprise in the mail.
        Tom

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2010
          Tom,
          Since your story is so fascinating I will try to keep it in mind on my next trip to Slovakia. I am always passing through Spisska Nova Ves on my "Circle Tour" out and back to Presov.
          With the connections you have I would hope that someone in Slovakia might come up with something for you.
          As for the Pasztorek surname; the 1995 Census has 53 listing in 22 places. The top ten are shown. There seems to be a lot of them in Komarno County. Which I believe is southeast of Spisska Nova Ves.
          Priezvisko PASZTOREK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 53×, celkový pocet lokalít: 22, najcastejsie výskyty v lokalitách:
          IMEL, okr. KOMÁRNO - 9×;
          BRESTOVEC, okr. KOMÁRNO - 5×;
          SOKOLCE, okr. KOMÁRNO - 5×;
          MARTOVCE, okr. KOMÁRNO - 4×;
          DULOV DVOR (obec KOMÁRNO), okr. KOMÁRNO - 3×;
          NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY - 3×;
          PETRZALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA - 3×;
          VELKÝ MEDER, okr. DUNAJSKÁ STREDA - 2×;
          BÚC, okr. KOMÁRNO - 2×;
          JELKA, okr. GALANTA - 2×;

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2010
            What is the source for finding names in the 1995 Census?

            Is it online?

            thanks,

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2010
              Yes it is online.
              It is part of a much larger data base that includes a lot of grammar and dictionary functions. The best way is to go to the link and learn from the "instructions" lesson.
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/toolbox.htm Under "Places" you will see this link. Slovakia Surname & Settlement search (instructions) Click on "(instructions)" to learn how to use it. Then click on the prior.

              What is the source for finding names in the 1995 Census?

              Is it online?

              thanks,

              On 8/7/2010 7:10 PM, Michael Mojher wrote:

              > Tom,
              > Since your story is so fascinating I will try to keep it in mind on my
              > next trip to Slovakia. I am always passing through Spisska Nova Ves on
              > my "Circle Tour" out and back to Presov.
              > With the connections you have I would hope that someone in Slovakia
              > might come up with something for you.
              > As for the Pasztorek surname; the 1995 Census has 53 listing in 22
              > places. The top ten are shown. There seems to be a lot of them in
              > Komarno County. Which I believe is southeast of Spisska Nova Ves.
              > Priezvisko PASZTOREK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 53×,
              > celkový pocet lokalít: 22, najcastejsie výskyty v lokalitách:
              > IMEL, okr. KOMÁRNO - 9×;
              > BRESTOVEC, okr. KOMÁRNO - 5×;
              > SOKOLCE, okr. KOMÁRNO - 5×;
              > MARTOVCE, okr. KOMÁRNO - 4×;
              > DULOV DVOR (obec KOMÁRNO), okr. KOMÁRNO - 3×;
              > NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY - 3×;
              > PETRZALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA - 3×;
              > VELKÝ MEDER, okr. DUNAJSKÁ STREDA - 2×;
              > BÚC, okr. KOMÁRNO - 2×;
              > JELKA, okr. GALANTA - 2×;

            • John