Re: [S-R] SLOVAKIA FOLK CULTURE

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
      Curt,
      I have not gotten into the chapters yet. The introduction was in very good English. I would like what you have on Helen to make a comparison.
      Michael

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
        I would love to receive a copy, Curt. Thanks!

        Elaine

        Epowell@...

        Sent from my iPhone

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
          Michael & all,

          The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.

          Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.

          So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.

          Rn

          > Dear Members,
          > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
          > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
          > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
          > Here are the chapters:
          > Traditional Agrarian Culture
          > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
          > Folk Trade
          > Food and Eating
          > Clothes and Footwear
          > Settlements and Dwelling Place
          > Community of Village and Family
          > Calendar Customs
          > Family Customs
          > Folk Theatre
          > Folk Art
          > Folk Narrative
          > Folk Songs
          > Folk Dance
          > Folk Music

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
            The reference URL to the first installment was stripped from my first posting

            I did't get down far enough in the chain of postings to see that CurtB had already mentioned the serialization.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

            > Michael & all,
            >
            > The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.
            >
            > Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.
            >
            > So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.
            >
            > Rn

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Members,
            > > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
            > > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
            > > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
            > > Here are the chapters:
            > > Traditional Agrarian Culture
            > > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
            > > Folk Trade
            > > Food and Eating
            > > Clothes and Footwear
            > > Settlements and Dwelling Place
            > > Community of Village and Family
            > > Calendar Customs
            > > Family Customs
            > > Folk Theatre
            > > Folk Art
            > > Folk Narrative
            > > Folk Songs
            > > Folk Dance
            > > Folk Music

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 8, 2010
              hi Ron and All -

              Thought i saw copies of this book at the super book store in Kosice on the side
              street leading from St. Elizabeth's.

              helene